1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward: Scumbag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Appropriate.

2. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Four- and five-digit arrogance.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

There are a ton of dirtbags on the Steelers...like there are a lot of dirtbags on the Cowboys, Browns, Patriots, Bengals, Packers, Lions, Seahawks, etc. In fact, I would wager that the NFL employs more dirtbags than any other professional sport (because of the roster size and the nature of the game). However, if you want to talk about scumbag, worthless NFL players Hines Ward does not belong anywhere near the conversation.

The guy made a stupid, stupid decision. But until I hear the specifics I am going to withhold criticism. Did you know you can have two glasses of wine and blow a .1? More people drive legally drunk than anyone could possibly imagine, even people who feel no effect from the alcohol can be above the legal limit. Now I am not excusing DWI at all...it is a stupid, reckless thing to do. But from what I am reading it doesn't sound like Ward was exactly drunk. CNN reported this:
    Atlanta (CNN) -- The agent for NFL star Hines Ward, arrested on a driving under the influence of alcohol charge in Georgia, said Saturday he is confident that the facts will show his client was not impaired.

Ward, a 35-year-old Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, was released after posting a $1,000 bond, according to a jail record in DeKalb County.

"(Ward) cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions," agent and manager Andrew Ree said.

"We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts," Ree continued in a statement. "From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was not impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/football/07/09/hines.ward.arrest/

Of course his agent is going to defend him, but if Ward was sloppy drunk and stumbling around we would have seen video of it already. This just seems so out of character for him.

4. jr/shotglass

You know, really, you've got to be fucking kidding me. Who are you to pass judgment on somebody you haven't even met? Man hasn't even been convicted, but that's OK, right? You're "willing to count it as a mistake"? You'd better look in the mirror about 15 times before "arrogance" comes off YOUR fingers again.

5. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

I'm sure you have a nice smile.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

shottie: Sam said it above, but the reason why this is different than Joe Schmoe or my friends or me getting busted or sliding through is because he NEVER HAS TO BE EVEN REMOTELY IN THE SITUATION.

You or me or my friend, we have one too many beers, we might need our car first thing in the morning, might not have the money for a cab. Not right, but it is what it is.

Hines Ward, and any other professional athlete, can afford to either be driven or take a cab ANYWHERE THEY GO. If you're Hines Ward, and you know what's on the line, you call a cab or you call a friend. So many sycophants in their lives and they can't find ONE to come drive the Range back to their mansion?

Hell to the naw.

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

Seems like "Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive." fits in this situation.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I encourage everyone to refrain from overreacting. Oh wait...

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The guy has merely been charged, and the thread title calls him a scumbag. I would say the overreacting started from jump.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be sure to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector twice a year.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sorry IJAG, but I disagree with your premise about the rich vs. the non-rich.

If I have too many drinks and elect to drive my non-Ranger to my non-mansion I am just as much to blame as a person of means who does the same with his/her nicer ride.

I have no friends/relatives to call to help me out?

I have enough money to drink too much but not enough to call a cab? (And every cab I've taken in the last five years or so has taken plastic)

I can't opt to sleep it off in my car rather than drive home intoxicated because I "need" my car in the AM?

Sorry, but the fact I don't have the disposable income of a professional athlete never should be used as an excuse were I to choose to drive back home while under the influence.

Last -- probably should have been first -- I really wish the release of the hounds had been postponed until after we learned the guy's BAC was above the legal limit for Georgia.

But we all know that's asking too much.

12. jr/shotglass

This is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.