1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward: Scumbag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

was just about to post exactly this. wow, when did this board become so instantly judgmental? i'm sure not condoning ANYONE getting ticketed for DUI. but if it is his first such offense, i'm surely grateful no one was hurt and willing to believe/pray this isn't his normal driving behavior. crap, i certainly have friends who were pulled over and handed a DUI ticket. and it's embarrassing to no end. it didn't turn any of these friends into immediate scumbags in my eyes. just incredibiv stupid. and lucky.

now, if we learn this is ward's nop and he just finally got caught, then yeah, what an a--hole.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've thought the same when dealing with him. Doesn't excuse this. Kind of silly to assume this was the first time he had done this.

shockey, none of this is new. There are a significant number of posters on this board who are desperate to rip any Steeler about anything, so that is part of the reaction.

Personally, I've never had much tolerance for DUI, so that's where my reaction comes from.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i get the venom for stillersnation. this still caught me off-guard. and most of y'all know how i feel about the dangers of drunk-driving. and, yes, if it turns out hines ward is indeed a serial drunk driver, by all means string 'em up by his thumbs....

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Ryan Dunn is still burning

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then I trust you never slipped off the hook at a checkpoint some night at 1:30 a.m.

Because I did. And I never drove while borderline after that. But I have empathy for those who get caught.

And Hines Ward is the same person, good or bad, as he was before this happened.

6. outofplace

And Ben Roethlisberger is the same person he was before that night in Georgia. And James Harrison is the same person he was before he smacked his girlfriend in the face with a cell phone.

And no, I've never had reason to be nervous at a checkpoint. I don't drink and drive. Ever.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why would you root for such a collection of assholes?

8. outofplace

I root for laundry and I don't kid myself into thinking any other team in the NFL is any better the way you and many others do.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But the team you root for is especially bad. Do you expect me to believe you sit on your hands when Roethlisberger, Ward, Harrison, etc. are involved in touchdowns? You want to be arbiter of all this is good and right, you can't take Sundays off.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was in disbelief when I saw this news break this morning. Hines Ward?

This doesn't make him the world's worst human being, but still a stunning lapse in judgment. These guys have the means to call a taxi or get a sober friend to drive them home.

Easy to say from this ivory tower, but why is that so difficult?

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This can be said for just about every team out there.

Cowboys, Heat, Yankees, Red Sox etc. etc. Or at least all the winning teams as of late.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How many of those teams have had their premier player accused of sexual assault twice in recent years?

Ya, all professional teams have their share of bad people, and no fanboi should act above it all when it comes to their team. But it's especially hypocritical for a Steelers fanboi at this point in time. It would be like a Cowboys fan in the '70s lecturing people on proper behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.