1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 5, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, we've got people who are completely dismissing everything Ward does aside from catching passes, which is a narrow-minded and inaccurate way to evaluate him, and we've got people kinda overdoing it the other way.

You can't treat him like a tight end, either. He wasn't. That said, it needs to be somewhere in the middle to get it right.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

His blocking will get a mention but I doubt voters will give it a lot of weight. That has nothing to do with its actual value on the field. I think some are confusing the two.

I don't think he gets in unless Steelers win another one while he is still a starter (this year or next). People will look and say, was never the best at his position and his stats don't measure up to the people who retired before or after him.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In-fucking-sanity. It was a big part of what the Steelers did on offense when Ward was in his prime.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame isn't like baseball, where every swinging dick who once signed up for the BBWAA gets a ballot, never mind that they haven't seen a game in 20 years. There's one voter from every city, plus a handful of at-large voters. These are people who are connected to the game, who can pick up a phone and get coaches and personnel guys. This is not a baseball scenario where the voter gets a table of stats. Football doesn't translate well to stats, and the people who vote on the Hall of Fame are smart enough to know that. That's why most of them consult with experts before they formulate opinions. Talk to defensive coordinators who planned for games against the Steelers and ask them about Ward's contributions.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Settle down fanboi.

Maybe they will consider his blocking heavily but he would be the first WR ever to get in over others with better stats simply because he was so good at blocking. WR's are already shunned in the NFL HOF, one who has worse stats than those before and after him just isn't likely to get in unless it is a team of the decade thing where they won 3-4 Super bowls. That title belongs to the Patriots.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

There is a difference between being a leader and the loudest guy in the room yelling look at me. Owens "leads" by getting a cadre of teammates to think he is great and then being a douche to the rest.

The Bengals were a train wreck of a team not owens per se, but in reality his top five numbers (haven't cone back to confirm) were greatly helped by a 200 yard game against Cleveland. The rest of the year he was pretty much a non entity on a lousy team.

Also, Owens giving his all? When the camera is on. He alligator armed passes in his prime consistently.

6. outofplace

His blocking has nothing to do with his value on the field? And you think Smasher is the one who is confused? (By the way, if I remember correctly, Smasher is not a Steelers fan).

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Read what I said again.

I said I don't think the voters will value it much which has nothing to do with the actual value of it but everything to do with whether he gets in or not.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Sure take away any WR's best game of the season and it won't be nearly as good of a season. Even if you take away the 222 yard game he was still on pace for close to a 1,100 yard season. That is very far from a non-entity. It's pretty ludicrous to say he was having anything less than a very good season.

9. outofplace

Thank you for clarifying. Now please go back and read Smasher's last post. He explained quite nicely why he and I both believe you are wrong.

Not to say he's a lock, but that you are dismissing that part of Ward's game far too easily.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

And read my response to that post when I clearly explain my stance.

Didn't say I was definitely right or you and him were definitely wrong. Just that in my opinion a WR's blocking won't be enough to get him in over WR's with considerably more yards and touchdowns.

11. outofplace

No, you said the voters wouldn't really consider it, and that is where I think you are way off. You have to consider it to properly consider Ward and I do believe these guys will. I just don't think it will be enough to get him in.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fanboi? You need to change your name to "Clueless." Pronto.

Draft saved Draft deleted