1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 5, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kelly was a much better pure passer than Roethlisberger, but he couldn't improvise like Roethlisberger can. That's why I think John Elway is a better comparison. He's not as good as Elway, but he has that same ability to be his best when things fall apart around him.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No way. He's never been an All-Pro (at least I do not think so) and has never been a dominant player. Calvin Johnson has already shown more dominance than Ward has ever shown. Sure the numbers are nice, but that's just accumulation. To me HOF means dominance.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ward caught 112 passes in a season once and he has had at least 94 three other times. He didn't just compile numbers. The argument that he was never dominant enough makes sense, but let's at least credit him for what he has been.

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Ward's a four-time Pro Bowler.

He's going to get in, but it's going to take some time. Other Steelers from this era: Bettis (eventually), Roethlisberger and Polamalu. Harrison needs about three or four more high-level seasons, which seems unlikely but could be possible. Alan Faneca seems like a lock, too, because of the number of Pro Bowl selections (9). He maybe needed to play two or three more seasons, though, and was pretty washed up by the time things came to an end.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Really, you're going to use pro bowls as an example?

I don't think we can look at receivers numbers, the game has change so much in even the last ten years. Ask yourself this, did you ever consider Ward a top 5 receiver in any given year? I haven't, a very good player who I would love to have on my team, but not a hall of famer imo.

Stephen Jackson and Devin Hester on the other hand......

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Calvin will have better numbers when it's all said and done (and if Stafford stays healthy), and he should considering his vast skill set. Ward will be a nominee, for sure, but whether he ever gets inducted is another issue.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Polamlau does not make the HOF, they need to lock the doors and board up the windows.

Roethlisberger is about 50/50 right now, and how he plays out the next five years or so will make or break him for the HOF. If the Steelers crash and burn and don't make the playoofs and become a losing team, he is probably out. If he takes them to another SB or keeps them in the playoffs, then he is probably in. Career won/loss will be a big factor for him.

Ward is very tough, but the tone of the posts so far tells me he is probably in someday. He might have to wait a long time, but remember, the poor guy had Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox throwing him a ball. Anyone who can catch 90 of Kordell's passes really needs some respect.

Bettis is in. It is just a matter of time.

Harrison? No. He lost too many years early in his career to really put together a great resume. He was not a full time starter until he was 29.

That might be it. Pouncey is off to a great start, but he has a long, long, long way to go.

8. I don't think Harrions gets in - not without a few more good years.

Ward - Ward is a good reciever, but an outstanding blocker. To me that's like calling Anthony Munoz the greatest pass-cathing offensive lineman.
    I think he gets in .... eventually.

I think Roethlisberger is a better bet for the HOF than Polamalu, based solely on the injury factor.

Bettis... Yes, easily, but not right away.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Was about to mention Faneca...six time first team all-pro, twice second-team. I would rank him a shade less than Will Shields as best guard of the 2000s. Probably gets some points for switching to tackle to help the team one season.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It seems like we have more minority presidents than linemen in the HOF. It's tough as hell for them to get in, and that is not right.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Polamalu will get in. I'll bet he gets in first ballot.

Whoever said Ward would get in over Terrell Owens is smoking something.

People talk about how bad Owens was last year and he was still almost at 1,000 yards.

Pro Bowls aren't the best way to measure because so many are selected. But All-Pro is pretty good because it means you're considered the best or second best receiver in your conference. Ward has never been a first-team All-Pro selection. I think he's been second-team a couple times. Owens has been first team five or six times. Owens also has 70 more touchdowns than Ward.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree. Ward is a very, very good player on a great team.

Draft saved Draft deleted