1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 5, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We've discussed this one in pieces before, but if we can have a thread about a guy with no shot like Stephen Jackson, why not Ward?

I like asking this because i really don't know if he should get in or not. I can see both arguments.

Positives:
    - Two Super Bowl rings. One Super Bowl MVP Award.
    - Currently eighth in NFL history with 967 career receptions, likely to end up with over 1,000
    - Well-earned reputation as a great blocker

Negatives
    - Will even 1,000 career receptions mean that much by the time he's eligible?
    - Despite all those catches, he barely cracks the top 20 all-time in yardage and touchdowns
    - Was he ever really among the top 2 or 3 at his position?
    - Does the reputation as a dirty player hurt his cause?
    - I don't care what other NFL guys have done it, appearing on Dancing With the Stars has to be a negative. Winning it even worse.

So, what do y'all think?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Stephen Jackson thread is a reach, but I think Ward gets in eventually. And that's coming from someone who hates everything Steelers and can't stand Ward.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now this is a good debate. ... honestly I could see him shaping up as a vet committee guy down the road. I don't think the dirty player rep hurts his cause because I think the voters would consider it hard-nosed more than anything, the whole "complete player" deal. He would be helped greatly if he could stick around for another Super Bowl win; a team with three titles in 10 years would have to be represented, but I don't know who (other than Big Ben) would be the candidates to represent that Steeler era.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

James Harrison, perhaps?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ward is likeable, so it makes the case less ridiculous than some of the threads that keep getting started on here. And emotionally, people will have fond memories of him. Some Super Bowls, and really good performances in them, and he's the WR who blocks! Who doesn't like that?

That said, the Pro Football HOF is tough and they tear guys down in those deliberations. And at the end of the day, he really falls short if some of the other receivers they have torn down fall short. Tim Brown isn't in. They are making Chris Carter wait. When Ward is up, there will be some sexy names in the mix too, such as Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

Intangibles are not going to make up the difference for him. He's not the play maker those guys were. And the comparisons are going to hurt him.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Willie Parker (Twoback)

7. LongTimeListener

I don't know, he wasn't even a starter on the first SB champion and he isn't likely to be around for another one. Plus, if Ward's dirty play would hold him back at all, Harrison's will keep him out of Canton forever.

8. LongTimeListener

Those guys were compilers more than anything else, though, a lot like Ward -- Carter had two first-team All-Pro selections, but Brown had none. And if Ward plays 2-3 more years he's going to end up near them in catches and TDs, a bit behind in yards. Add in the team success and it's even a closer case.

If the population of voters stays basically the same, one thing to consider is that they tend to see themselves as guardians of the old school. I think they'd value a guy like Ward if he has similar numbers to Brown, who was often seen as a bit soft.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll make it. In this era, he's going to be far behind some of his peers who will be coming up for election at the same time or soon after. He may compare favorably with current HOFers, but those wide receivers (with the exception of Jerry Rice) are going to be blown away by several players of Ward's generation.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Ward would have to wait for Andre Reed and Tim Brown and Cris Carter first, and think of the other guys coming with him. Marvin Harrison was better than Ward, and Reggie Wayne will probably have better numbers when he retires. Randy Moss was better than Ward.

What about guys like Donald Driver or Amani Toomer or Derrick Mason? Solid for a lot of years but not that "wow" factor.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Best Steeler of this era easily Polamalu. Ward probably gets in. Rapesliberger has a chance. He's definitely behind Brady, Manning, Brees and Rogers, but he is solid and Brady is the only other with more then one ring.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ward's greatly-aided by his having been a Steeler in this era, but in my book, he's in. A unique talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted