1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIMYM -- Season 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 23, 2008.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Re: HIMYM -- Season 4, episode 1

She has been referred to as "Aunt Robin" since the pilot ("... and THAT, kids, is the story of how I met... Aunt Robin.") Saget refers to all the regulars as "Aunt" or "Uncle" in the narration, as in "they're such close friends, they're practically family." My parents had friends I referred to as "Aunt"/"Uncle" when I was growing up.

And I feel like I've mentioned this every week, but does nobody remember Ted's birthday episode from last spring? With the goat chewing on the towel in the bathroom? Saget says in the narration that it was ROBIN'S towel that the goat was chewing in the bathroom, and that that whole thing happened a year later on his 31st birthday, when Robin had moved in with him.

So to be clear: By the time spring 2009 rolls around, Robin is going to be living with Ted.

Which is why stories like Ted/Stella and Robin getting a job offer overseas kinda unfulfilling: You know it's a road to nowhere.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I will be hella pissed if Stella is the mother. No chemistry at all. None. Nothing that makes you say, "Yep, she's the one."

Also we know Stella never went out before Ted. And he found the yellow umbrella, which turned out to be his future wife's, at the club.

So yeah, Stella is like roads in Alaska — going nowhere.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I mean it's no Big Bang Theory, but I do love the show.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I don't think it's hatred as much as frustration. Anybody who has watched this show from the beginning knows they're capable of better than this.

More than anything, I think they're guilty of dumbing things down to try to draw more viewers. Every week, it feels like there's a new catchphrase they're trying to get over and more "let's have Marshall do wacky things because he's a big goof" and more forced stuff with Barney that just isn't coming close to past bits.

In a way, I'm glad this show has survived as long as it has, because the ratings weren't looking too good for a long time (I still don't think they're particularly great). But the things that have helped them survive are ultimately what's dragging down the show to the more loyal viewers.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Both shows remain as close to a can't-miss as I have in the course of a week.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A classic art vs. commerce episode.
    The writers have to string the show out, but also have to have a way to end it, just in case CBS pulls the plug, as they have threatened to do at the end of each season.
    This episode wasn't that bad.
    I think it sets up how Robin ends up at Ted's apartment. She goes to Japan, maybe finds a mystical doll that makes her crash her surfboard — no wait that was Brady Bunch. She comes back, doesn't have a place to live and crashes at Ted's.
    The show now has a hole in it. He could be there, he could be spending most of his time at Stella's.
    What's more interesting to me, is why are Ted and Marshall so gung-ho for the NYC when neither one of them are from there. And if I remember the show right, didn't go to college in NYC either. Or at least undergrad in Marshall's case.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually thoroughly enjoy "The Big Bang Theory"

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

As do I. I think Jim Parsons has made his Sheldon character one of the most memorable on TV.

9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Big Bang Theory has grown on me this year.

As for HIMYM, CT put it well. I love the show, but have been frustrated watching it this season. The fastball hasn't been there. There is just something missing right now.

10. Mizzougrad96

Niles Jr. as we call him.

11. Mizzougrad96

It says a lot that CBS chooses to open the Monday Night lineup with Big Bang Theory over HIMYM. That usually means they see it as the better show.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I tape the first three shows on CBS, then go straight to Boston Legal.

That 9:30 show did nothing for me when I watched it. Too bad, because I think Kurtwood Smith is hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted