1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIMYM returns... And I think we saw the mother tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok, so I loved the 2-minute date, if only because they used Big Star's "Thirteen" as the background music. "Will you be an outlaw for my looooove?" It was also cool to see Rajit, the limo driver, from the first season.

Britney's performance was a non-factor. I didn't care either way. If she helps save the show, great. If not, oh well.

Here is how I read the stuff with the lovely Sarah Chalke: If CBS decides to cancel the show, then Chalke is the mother. She's gorgeous, she's funny, and you could totally imagine her (in your head) fitting in with the gang. So if CBS gives Carter and Thomas word that HIMYM is a goner at season's end (which they just might) then they'll write it so that Chalke is the mom.

If it looks like the show is going to get picked up, then I think she's another fake out. The reference to going to the St. Patrick's Day party will be just a red herring.

That way, they can decide if they want Chalke to be the mom or not. I suspect they know how they want Ted to meet his future wife, but haven't settled on who. As bad as it would suck to have HIMYM cancelled, it would be much worse if it got cancelled and we never knew what was supposed to happen.

If you think back though, they did set up this episode for a long time. Ted got his tramp stamp in the season premire. A few episodes later, he made reference to trying to figure out how to ask out his dermatologist, as well as a joke about going on the worst movie date ever. That's how clever this show is in terms of playing with time.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I liked Britney tonight. Played the part well.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Spears was OK. I think a better actress/better writing could have set up the parallel between Ted-Chalke's crush and Spears-Ted crush.

The episode had some very witty and sweet moments. I didn't laugh that much though.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sarah Chalke is going to need work after Scrubs goes away... I'm just saying...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Maybe Britney is the wife?

J/k.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good episode, but not one of HIMYM's best.

Chalke lit up the screen.

7. Mizzougrad96

You could tell that just answering the phone for her on camera was a lot of work...

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

My sentiments exactly. Good episode but the Chalke scenes were the best -- I loved the 2-minute date.

And could Britney's eyes have been any more glossed over? She looked like a fish out of water in that role (or acting in general).

9. Mizzougrad96

I like Chalke as an actress, but it always stuns me when people think she is such a goddess.

She's attractive, but there are probably 100 actresses on TV who are better looking, including two on that show...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Great Gazoo speaks ...

[​IMG]

Yeah, she's ugly. ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought that the episode was clever.
    The 2-minute date was perfect. Plus, Big Star!
    Awesome, so totally awesome.
    Big Star!
    I'll say this, those cats know their way around some good music.
    I've puzzled before over the age gap. The flash forward scenes are set in 2030. The kids look to be youngish teenagers, so either Ted doesn't meet the mother for another seven to 10 years, or he has a reason to wait on kids.
    If the mother already had a child who was 8, maybe that's the reason why they held off on having kids.
    I don't know. Another thing tossed out before was that the mother was actually Robin's younger sister.
    But it seems like they are setting up some alternate routes depending on what CBS wants them to do.
    I also remember that the producers said from the beginning that they had the first and last episodes written and everything else was filling in the gaps.
    I would hate to see CBS cancel this show.
    Lord that would suck.

12. Mizzougrad96

On no level did I say she was ugly...

Draft saved Draft deleted