1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilton Head Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette combine editorially

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Mar 29, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The sports department did this a while back -- last summer, I think? -- but now the two papers are combining their editorial operations across the board.

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/797153.html

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

This comes on the heels of layoffs, furloughs and pay cuts... All at the same time.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably makes sense. Seems like more and more places are doing this. The 'local' paper is becoming the 'regional' paper.

But why not just merge the two into one product? Same name, same advertisements, everything.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think, based on the column the publisher wrote, that they'll have separate fronts, but the inside pages will be the same.

I'll say this -- The Island Packet and The Gazette are two of the best small dailies in the country. I certainly hope for the best for the staff. I've got a few friends down there, and they do excellent work.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unlike SCE, I know no one down there but the reputation of these publications is top-notch. We can only hope that quality isn't further compromised.

Draft saved Draft deleted