1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillsborough - 20 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Mar 17, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

When you walk through a storm keep your chin up high,
    And don't be afraid of the dark.
    At the end of a storm is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
    Walk on through the rain,
    Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
    Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
    And you'll never walk alone,
    You'll never walk alone!

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you want a good feel for the days' events, there's a movie from 1996 called Hillsborough. It ran on British television once (I heard it ran again today, but I'm not sure). You can't exactly buy a copy without a bit of work (I got one off ebay years ago), but it has since found its way onto the web. It looks as if you can download it here, BTW.

Anyway, the first hour of it is absolutely brutal. It deals mainly with parents losing children and the panic which set in during the first moments after the magnitude of the disaster became apparent. You'll want some tissues around.

As for the History Channel doc, I'm sure it will pop up somewhere on the net within a few days.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Just found an unedited version of the video. Four minutes from small fire underneath the stands to complete immolation.

http://s352.photobucket.com/albums/r334/andyandsarah2002/?action=view&current=060529-bradford-city-fire-disaster-.flv

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good gosh, that was sickening to watch. I don't know what bothered me more, the fans celebrating on the field while the stand burned or the shot of the guy walking along unaware he was on fire.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Something I read on another board and confirmed in another location indicated that the walking burning man at the end of the video did not survive.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Terrible to watch, especially that burning man at the end.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The odd thing about being on fire is that you can not feel it. You'll feel the heat at first, but then it disappears as the nerve endings are destroyed and you being to go into shock. Unless you see the flames, you'll not know. [/somebodywhohasactuallybeenonfire]

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Scary stuff. The announcer seems not to realize at all, at least until the very end, that people were dying in there. In his defense, it was extremely difficult to see the back of the stand, especially once the smoke started getting really thick. But it's strange, knowing what happened, that his chief concern is the stand itself and the embarrassment of its burning down on a day of celebration.

As for the people celebrating on the pitch ... well, that's why football supporters weren't very popular at the time, even if that sort were a minority.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of the people who died tried to head out the back, and the two gates were locked. A few folks at the left end of the stands probably died thinking the fire wouldn't spread so fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted