1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary's getting her excuses ready...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Dec 12, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Falling pretty consistently behind in Iowa, the Clinton campaign is now accusing the Obama campaign of attempting to "manipulate" the vote there. Their charge stems from the Obama campaign's strong support among college students, who have been encouraged to either stay in Iowa over the holiday break or return on caucus night to support the senator.

http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/12/question_of_iowa_student_voting_flares_into_major_issue.php#more

Here's the catch: College students from out of state are eligible to caucus in Iowa, provided they are registered Democrats and live in the area where they are caucusing. Further, since almost all the students will have to caucus in a fairly small number of precincts where they live in Ames and Iowa City -- and where Obama is likely to win, anyway -- the effect they might have on the final result in Iowa is likely negligible. There are only so many delegates per caucus, and there aren't points for running up the score.

So, in essence, Hillary is charging that Obama campaign is attempting to "manipulate" the election by, horror of horrors, trying to get eligible voters to the caucus. The nerve! What's more, she makes the accusation -- through her husband, no less -- knowing full well that the effect on the outcome will be tangential at best and that the Obama campaign has supported students caucusing largely as a way to get young people involved with the campaign. What scum!

It's pretty damn low.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But I thought the Democrats were always in favor of counting every vote...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would assume it is, although you can probably assume there have been times where many have been hoping for it privately.

I'm honestly surprised by this. You don't normally see someone who has so much experience in politics hit this big a panic button.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

She has the backing of one influential Iowa columnist -- David Yepsen -- but other than that, I don't see this playing well.

And I don't see her as skilled enough to sell it, either.

Is there any legitimate argument that college students shouldn't caucus in Iowa? They spend their money there, live there, work there, etc.

It just doesn't hold any water to me.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Amen.

The truth is they are what they've always been...hypocrites. Claiming to be for the people, but not.

At least the Republicans hint they are for the corporates. Whether that's right or not, they're consistent.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Zeke, the impact of small colleges around the state could also be something to watch. Beyond the two Big 12 schools you have places like Grinnell, Northern Iowa, Luther, and other rinky dink places.

Considering the historical performance of the college vote, I'm still skeptical. But it also may reflect just how well thought of and inspiring people view Obama. Last Christmas he was the guy my 80-something grandpa was talking about as the one to watch. And he's an Ohio voter, so you know each candidate is willing to come to his house and cook him dinner and rake his leaves for his vote.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It's about what, five percent of registered Iowa voters even bother to caucus? And this is a major signpost in how our country picks a president?

Clinton would have done a lot better just to complain about how fucked up the process is.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good point about the smaller colleges Headbutt, but, of course, there would be smaller numbers of students headed there, too.

And I'll be up to Rake your dad's lawn as soon as I get a couple days off...

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Uh...I think the whole point of the thread is what Hillary's doing is wrong. Started by someone who I can assume is a Democrat (or last politically liberal).

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for noticing, K.

And yes, in case it needed to be said, I am decidedly for increasing turnout and counting every vote.

It's this crazy theory I have. ;D

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Brand new this year: Candidates angle for every perceived advantage they can to get elected!

12. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

You liberal wackos and your off-the-wall thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted