1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary says Pledged Delegates are up for grabs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 27, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I wonder if this strategy will backfire and enough of her pledged delegates
    will tire of hearing this rhetoric from her, flip their vote and give
    Obama the nomination on the first ballot.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/26/clinton.delegates/index.html?i...

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hillary is now begging for delegates.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So is she right or wrong?

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Is there a right or a wrong for a habitual liar?

5. She's absolutely correct, on the rules, if not the politics.
    Delegates, once they're in the hall, can do pretty much anything they want. That's why, in a sane year, which this is not, the party's nominee can be nominated "by acclamation" no matter how many delegates the losing candidates have at the convention. Of course, most of the time, the campaigns select only the safest and most loyal supporters they have to be delegates so, in an insane year, like this one, they likely will stay put through at least two ballots. Anything beyond that, I think HRC gets the blame and somebody besides those two gets the nod.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

So the candidate bitching the loudest about disenfranchising those in Florida and Michigan is now trying to disenfranchise every voter in every district that didn't vote for her?

Democracy? Fuck it.

EDIT: And to be clear, I understand that technically, she's correct. But it's still bullshit that she would all but beg delegates to go against what their voting districts chose.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's how Teddy K became on the verge of stealing the nomination of 1976 from the Peanut Farmer. Wait, that may have been 1980.

8. SigR

SigR Member

She might be accurate, but as far as a delegate switching his or her vote, I would think something would have to come up about Obama that made it seem like he was truly un-electable. Otherwise you are disenfranchising a significant number of voters from your own party. From my perspective, each one is a viable candidate as long as they didn't have to go through this fight for the nomination.

It's really kind of amazing how the democrats found a way to shoot themselves in the foot, seeing as this election of all elections in recent memory was theirs for the taking. At this point I don't see either one winning in the fall, unless of course they teamed together as pres/ vice pres. Call in Al Gore from the climate war and offer VP to the loser of the democratic nomination. Run as an independent. I guess that is naive politically, but it sounds good.

9. Surprisngly lucid. It was 1980. But there was a pre-existing rule about committed delegates and the convention voted to uphold it, thereby dooming Teddy's chances. That rule is now gone. It was replaced by...wait for it...the SUPERDELEGATES.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yeah, it was 1980. It was after the Dems saw what four years of Carter had done.

11. 1976 was the year of my one-man revolt at the DNC on behalf of Mo Udall.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's funny is that the water has been poisoned further by Republicans who after McCain had nomination in bag switched their affiliation so they could vote for Obama in their states primary. It's rumored that some of "spys" will be delegates to convention.

Draft saved Draft deleted