1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary is a Fraud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now, if you want to talk about a through-the-looking-glass moment, I point you to Peggy Noonan on Turniphead's Talking Twirps, pointing out the anti-feminist nature of the HRC campaign, and me sitting on the couch thinking, "It's about time someone said that.."

And then sitting there thinking, "Did I really just mentally cheerlead Peggy Fucking Noonan?"

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how many people hate Hillary because of Monica.

I asked Mr. Lugs' family why they wouldn't consider voting for Hillary. "Monica" was essentially the answer.

Do people think Hillary wanted Monica to happen?

3. There's not a dime's worth of difference between them on the issues, Doc. Nor between them and Edwards, for all that. There's a difference on health-care regarding landates on which (I think) Obama's wrong, but it's hardly a dealbreaker. There's not much difference between them going forward in Iraq. As for HRC swinging first well, Christ, someone had to. It happened to be her and Obama seems to realize that being above actually competing for the office wasn't a viable strategy. And, zeke, if you don't think he's dogwhistling up Clinton's whole career, you're fooling yourself out of galloping TB. He's smart enough to know subtext when he speaks it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The subtext isn't Obama's fault, Fenian.

By your logic, no matter what Bill Clinton says, anyone who calls him on it is "dogwhistling up Clinton's whole career." If that's the case, then you can blame Hillary for making him her primary attack dog.

Must be freeing for Mr. Clinton, but I for one am not willing to give him a pass because a lot of crazy people hated him. As I recall, there was quite a bit of frustration with President Clinton on the left as well as on the right during his time in office. I seem to remember Don't Ask Don't Tell, Ending Welfare As We Know it, Sister Souljah, NAFTA, etc., ad nauseam. I also seem to remember the DLC and the complete lack of regard for any kind of grassroots Democratic activism.

I also seem to remember the Democrats getting pummeled in a series of elections.

5. There isn't anything in that post with which I would remotely disagree, zeke. So why are we having a problem here, unless you're offended somehow at the implication that your guy would act out of political calculation as well as out of high-flown rectitude.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

None, I think, except the characterization of "right-wing" talking point.

Or I could still be trying to scrub the Noonan-love off my soul.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting transcript of phone call between Dr King and LBJ prior to Selma march discussing voters rights act. At least Johnson was not complaining about his pants being to tight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/weekinreview/27tapes.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Phone+call+into+history&st=nyt&oref=slogin

8. A more interesting exposition of the same topic so Boom can be pissing off now.

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/johnson.htm

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's because she's insanely ambitious.

Obama has to pay attention to whatever Rudolph-Nose says in public, but damned if he has to engage him.
    He just has to catch it, package a response, and shove it up HRC's ass.

And if OB wants to make oblique references to WJC's fighting HRC's battles for her, he's fully entitled.

10. Don't scream, Doc, but the Obama campaign's reaction to what's beens said about him doesn't give me confidence that he can handle what's coming in November -- which will be better financed and infinitely worse. If that makes me a "realist," then, OK, I am. I saw what was done to the last two Democratic candidates. I watched the NCPAC senatorial campaigns in 1980. I know what the Arkansas Project is. Compared to all of that, the Clintons are playing beanbag.
    And, please, let's have a moratorium on criticizing candidates for being "ambitious," insanely or otherwise. It take insane ambition to want this job enough to go through the process.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Broadly agree with the last graf, on general principles . . . but she's borderline-psychotic about it.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think Hillary is definitely a fraud, and an evil self-aggrandizing power monger. That said, boom, if you knew of something better, you should have used it, because this was a poor example.

Draft saved Draft deleted