1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary For President 2008 *NSFW*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well how do you treat posts by Rambo, Sportsbruh, etc.?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The consequences I can bring to bear are limited. I can't bring back threads anyone kills. I can't disable any functions that are available to all posters. I can't tell people what to post. In short, I can't "control" Boom. I also can't tell anyone here just to ignore his threads. Post at your risk. Isn't that pretty obvious by now? I can do some housecleaning, but some of you need to take some responsibility for where you click.

I do recall seeing people criticize the religious right when it attacks radio or TV programming, and people here say "There is an on/off button. Use it." The same applies to any thread you don't like. Ignore it. If you post on it, don't complain to me. You're just taking the bait.

People like to rip on Boom, and lord knows I've done it many times, but since I became a moderator I have had much more trouble because of people who don't know how to ignore Boom than I have had with Boom. Some of the same people, when he starts a thread, start shit with him, and when it gets ugly, they come to me and complain -- after throwing the first punch.

I don't care who "started it" in 2003 or whenever, it's fucking stupid. I can't know if you are retaliating for something that happened last month. If you lob the first water balloon on a thread, who is to blame? It's obvious people just love their codependent relationship with Boom and love to get it started on even the freshest threads. He doesn't always initiate the B.S. (unless you take the view that everything he posts is B.S.) But as I said, if you don't know by now to ignore his threads, I can't help you.

The Olson thread could have been a winner, but we all know Boom started it, right? Post at your own risk. I realize the more serious posters here are mostly concerned about that thread, and I empathize. But as I said before, it's Webby's place, and if he wants to (and can) disable the button allowing us to delete our own threads, he will. Until then, I am doing the best I can. I also have a job to do, a job that actually pays me, a job that expects me to produce copy good enough for our readers, and good enough to hold up to the kinds of scrutiny it would receive if someone posted it on here. So if any of you think you'd like to take my place as moderator and can do it better, step up. I am sure my work will improve.

I am needing this shit less and less every day.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am gratified by the concern for lost threads that I have started. It proves that you like my ideas as hard as it might be for some of you to admit it.

One love

Boom

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And with one post, boom gained 80 pounds.

5. Boom_70

Dooley everytime I see your avatar now I feel the need to drink gatorade.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's Boone's Farm. Doesn't give you what your brain cells are thirsty for.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

But. . .BUT. . . .we need you to tell us when and where it's okay to post!!!!!!!

SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

Some very good points, and I have said before I am an advocate of revoking the ability for a poster to delete his or her own threads. Just leads to stupidity.

But this part:

"I am doing the best I can. I also have a job to do, a job that actually pays me, a job that expects me to produce copy good enough for our readers, and good enough to hold up to the kinds of scrutiny it would receive if someone posted it on here. So if any of you think you'd like to take my place as moderator and can do it better, step up. I am sure my work will improve."

Pretty unnecessary to play the "Hey man, you think you can do better?!?!?!?!" card, isn't it? They advertised the position, they asked for serious candidates, you either inquired about it or accepted it when offered. You have been here long enough to know just how much BS and foolishness passes on these threads, and you took the gig for your own reasons. No one forced you to.

Yes, I understand that there are people who act like babies and PM you to complain about fights they got themselves into because they couldn't resist arguing with an Internet personality they dislike. And your advice to ignore these things is correct. But still, it's pretty snarky to whine about it in this way after just a couple months on the job.

8. OK, let's all have one and settle down.

[​IMG]

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Obama '08.

Now more than ever.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You just want to see him in the pants...

11. Boom_70

Well he would look better than Hillary.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Boom, we're in complete agreement.

Plus, foreign leaders would be able to bum a smoke.

Anyone who's ever worked in a bar knows what kind of diplomacy can be bought with a Marlboro.

Draft saved Draft deleted