1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary: Deadbeat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A year ago she was catching shit for helping Vilsack with his campaign debt. People who want to bash her will bash her no matter what she does.

Hey, ask your advertising people. Newspapers do not allow political candidates to run a tab -- it's cash up front if they want to buy an ad. That goes for everyone.

This is just the way it is, and it is intellectually dishonest to pretend Clinton is an exception. Again, check out Giuliani.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't really disagree with any of this. But it's also intellectually dishonest to pretend that campaign debt is all the same.

The pollsters, consultants and even some of the event vendors accept the risk that comes with extending credit to campaigns.

The TV and newspaper ad people and the folks who print literature and bumper stickers demand cash on the barrel. And good for them.

The grocery stores and folks who rent office space extend short-term credit, but also expect to get paid pretty quickly. And when they're not paid three months later, despite the candidate raising $50 million in the interim, they rightfully get pissed off.

And if they think they can shame the candidate into paying up by offering the story to a media outlet, they'll damn sure do it.

3. Please. Frank's right.
    It is all about bashing HRC because an unusual number of posters on this board consider that to be a) fun, b) good politics and c) their sacred duty to the Obama Movement. I think it's more significant that St. McCain is currently in violation of the campaign-finance law that bears his name. Funnier, too.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So far, Zeke and I are the only Obama supporters to post on this thread. Please show me where I bashed Hillary on this. I'll wait. And as long as her campaign continues to bash Obama over every little thing in a desperate attempt to remain viable, I'll take my fun where I can get it, if it's all right with you. I'll stop bashing Hillary when she drops out of the race.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They have these primaries every four years. These companies could easily say no, but they're worried the guy down the street will say yes, and they want the business. They know how the game is played, they are not virgins. I don't feel very sorry for them.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Funny. That's the same line of thinking Dean Singleton has had recently.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's all about defending HRC because a perplexing minority of posters on this board have been doing that so long it has become a) reflexive or b) pathological or c) psychologically satisfying in a contrarian sense.

On the second sentence, I agree.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

If she has the money coming in through fund raising, she should pay the vendors. It's not a big deal or an outrage. It's just common sense. It's a lot smarter to keep these people from compaining to the media than to spend $1 million on advertising in PA three weeks before the election.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You might add as far and balanced as your views.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah, "I know you are, but what am I?" Well played.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But isn't Hillary a champion of the little guy, the average joe. Doesn't she and Bill feel our pain.

Fine. If you're feeling our pain, pay your fucking bills to some poor saps struggling to keep things going.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you admit you're completely one-sided politically, and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong, stupid or ignorant?

That about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted