1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary Clinton running on the Communist party ticket

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big_Space, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

It certainly is a U.S. problem. I understand the Chinese have manipulated their currency to create a greater deficit. But, if you notice they are the ones with the power to do so becuase we are sending less to China than we are importing. Thus, a trade deficit.

U.S - China trade
    2006 - (-213,548.6)
    http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html#2006
    2005 - (-201,544.8)
    2004 - (-161,938.0)
    2003 - (-124,068.2)
    2002 - (-103,064.9 )
    2001 - (-83,096.1 )
    2000 - (-83,833.0)
    1999 - (-68,677.1 )
    1998 - (-56,927.4 )
    1997 - (-49,695.5 )
    1996 - (-39,520.2 )

Under Clinton there was a growing trade deficit with China but under W, we went from a decrease in the trade deficit (2000-01) to ballooning out of control.

That's some serious manipulating if you really want to believe it's not the "open market" system that has seen nearly 1 million good-paying, blue-collar manufacturing jobs outsourced since 2001. That's an attack on the middle class. Meanwhile, CEO salaries have skyrocketed and while worker productivity has gone up, worker salaries have stagnated in the face of higher energy, oil and healthcare costs.

But yeah, Hillary is the evil one. She's the devil who wanted to ensure all children had healthcare coverage.

Damn, she should burn in hades.

When are we going to see a thread from the righties around here promoting their candidate of choice? We haven't yet because the right-wing echo chamber hasn't geared up and told them who they must vote for. Heaven forbid they try to figure that out for themselves.

WHo ya got? McCain (religious-right's newest friend) Romney (gay-friendley NE liberal?), Newt (loves his women especially when they're dying), Rudi (gay-lover, abortion friendly NE liberal?) or Huckabee (the least hotogenic but probably the best of the field)? Come on, you all can take your talking points and attack give us loony lefties (the ones who can balance a federal budget) a chance to pick apart the GOPs best chances.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Lamar, Clinton presided over this country, and Monica's bended knees, with a dot.com industry in full speed. That industry crashed about the time he left office. That more than anything HE did, made the economy strong.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Really, so you're saying he dot.com bubble created 23 million jobs? Then why didn't the unemployment rate balloon up to 10+ percent when it popped?

What he did was boost Pell grants. That enabled middle class kids like me who wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford college to get an education. When he left, he left a better educated population. That's just one thing he did right. How come Reagan and Bush 41 couldn't have produced 23 million jobs. Why is W floundering at about 6 million in 6 years?

We're told how great the unemployment rate is in terms of history but it can't hold Clinton's jock.

Please tell me how A GOP Congress coupled with a GOP President can turn a quarter trillion dollar budget surplus into a quarter trillion budget deficit. HOw could it be the conservatives have added $3 trillion to the national debt. They had complete control, how could this be?

How come Clinton could play by PAYGO and a W White HOuse/GOP Congress can't?

Explain. I'm waiting.

Or don't you give Clinton credit for working with an opposition party? It's funny now that Dems control Congress, W wants to balance the budget in five years (three after he's left). That's fiscal responsibility, leave another mess (like Iraq) for someone else to clean up.

Explain, please. I'm waiting. Don't waste your or my time attacking Clinton. His record speaks for itself, defend W's and your beloved GOP.

I'm waiting.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Lamar I can answer how they increased the deficit in one word: WAR

Whether you agree with the war itself or not, any governement will have a hard time capping spending when they pump so much money into a war.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Mundane is an appropriate moniker.

I merely corrected your spiel lauding the only dick in the White House that entered Monica's mouth, and you try to divert the issue back to Bush. War, regardless of the president, is always going to affect the economy negatively. But again, the facts are facts: the economic boom under Clinton was fueled largely by the dot.com industry and when that dried up, so went the economy.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm not completely up to speed on the current rules of politics, but it would seem as though that a politician couldn't use a war he lied his ass off to get us into as an excuse for economic failures.

Using it as an excuse becomes even more ballsy when you consider that this same politician pushed through his tax cuts at the same time.

Here's the facts: The dot.com world had already fallen on hard times by 9-11-01. So, your president knew the financial problems that those two events were causing. And since its not that damned hard to figure out that two wars would place an additional drain on the economy, maybe -- just sonofabitchin maybe -- those tax cuts were an unbelievably bad idea.

But then, how you gonna hold a base when you take promised money out of their pockets?

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The Bush deficit/debt is in no way connected with the Iraq war, because the expenses are not included in the budget numbers. Try again.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Yeah, WWII was definitely a drain on the American Economy.

The WAR of TERROR has cost approx. $750 billion. The national debt is up by nearly $3 trillion since W took office.

How do you explain the missing $2.5 trillion?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First of all, I'm not a "rightie," as you call it. I'm not even a Republican. I am fairly conservative, but am far from the neo-conservative you insinuated in the portion of your reply that I didn't quote. Honestly, I don't give a shit who the president is. And I don't listen to the "right-wing echo chamber."

Second, you're going to have to come with a stronger argument than the bolded portion to make me believe the trade deficit is a problem. Of course manufacturing jobs are leaving. But service jobs are being created. The pie is simply being sliced another way. Just because manufacturing jobs are leaving doesn't mean we're worse off.

10. JackS

JackS Member

There goes Alley's New Year's civility resolution.

Don't feel bad, dude. I told you I could never do it either. ;)

11. Yes, good-paying manufacturing jobs, with benefits and union protections, are leaving and being replaced by jobs in the hotel domestic-service industry. I'm very encouraged by that.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

::)

Draft saved Draft deleted