1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary Clinton -- Like her or hate her ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 4, 2006.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sorry, this simply isn't true.

As for her time as first lady... she was immediately placed in charge of health care reform, despite a distinct lack of qualifications in that regard.  It didn't go well.  She may not have been the first First Lady to have significant input on policy matters, but she was essentially put in charge of a major policy issue.

And it's not as simple as "accusing her of using her Senator position to springboard to President."  She moved to New York for the sole purpose of running for Senator, and her entire time is office has been posturing for a presidential run.

And JR got it exactly right - she has no rapport or connection with the public at all.  She comes across as horribly elitist and always has.  She's virtually the polar opposite of her husband in that regard.  He is as comfortable in a bowling alley as he is in a state dinner.  She isn't.  She can't even pretend effectively.  Bill didn't have to.

And she absolutely is without a moral center, and she will say anything to any audience to try to ingratiate herself, with new clue how absurd it comes across.  (My personal favorite - telling a Black audience "The Senate is run like a plantation - and I KNOW you know what I'm talkin' about.")

If it's McCain vs. Hillary in 2008, McCain might carry 48 states.  The Democratic Party leadership needs to figure out that there really are voters outside of New York and California and a very large percentage of them can't stand her.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

JR, Bill himself used the name Bubba.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Point taken.

I apologize.

But she's not the first politician to take advantage of her political connections, albeit a pretty solid one.

And is she the first politician to move to another part of the country to further her political ambitions?

Just askin' because it happens here all the time. (Hello, Michael Ignatieff!)

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

JR,

It's pretty rare at the truly national level in the U.S. Hillary and Bobby Kennedy are the only examples I can think of off the top of my head (other than Bill Weld's aborted bid for NY guv....why do these carpetbaggers flock to NY?). A much more likely scenario is this: local boy grows up, goes to college and goes to DC as someone's staffer.....hears that local congressional seat is going to be opening up/the current incumbent is weak, so he moves back into the district and runs for the seat. What made Hillary's run so brazen at the time was that she had no connection to NY. She was a Chicago girl who had spent her adult life in Little Rock.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, almost no connection.

[​IMG]

;D

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Here here! Though I'm more on the right, I did kind of like Bill as a person. He's a likeable guy and has a way with people that Hillary lacks.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'd hit it...

Oh, sorry, wrong thread...

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Nothing to apologize for.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

[​IMG]

Have you no shame, man? :D

10. pallister

pallister Guest

This the same BS you'll hear from liberals if she ever does run.  America would have the gender card shoved down its throat as a strategy to avoid talking about her record and qualifications, or lack thereof.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She looks as comfortable wearing a Yankees hat as Ashy Larry would...

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not that the GOP can't find a viable candidate. It's that they are not organized and don't have even 1/100th of the warchest Hilary is sitting on. She is a fundraising machine. That is really what she has accomplished as Senator. She has managed to raise enough money to buy a Senate senate seat and be an early favorite for a nomination for president. The GOP could put up Abraham Lincoln and he wouldn't stand a chance because she can put herself on TV 24-hours day if she wants, do direct mail, have people manning the phones, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted