1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary cancels appearances - or not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 7, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Re: Hillary cancels appearances

Not sure, but make no mistake, there will be a moment over the next six months that makes McCain look like the fucking nutjob he is. And within 24 hours, you'll start seeing commercials asking whether this is the guy you really want with his hand on the red button.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If the election was today, and it was Obama and McCain, it wouldn't quite be McGovern-like... more like Clinton-Dole. McCain doesn't stand a chance. Never stood a chance in this thing. Obama is going to need to get caught shooting smack with Rev. Wright and five hookers in a hotel room for that to change.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So, what DID you say to your wife?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just for fun, why don't you look up "cakewalk" in Webster's New World and see where it comes from. I'll bet you'll never use it and Obama in the same sentence again -- or, for that matter, again ever.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

At least he'd get the Marion Barry vote.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't know, but I wish he'd say something.

Listen, I'm a Clinton supporter. I truly think that she would be the best president out of the three remaining contenders. I agree with a lot of her ideas (except for the gas thing) but I am disgusted by the way she has run her campaign. It also worries me that when she loses her composure during debates that voters will see this as a sign of weekness.

That being said, I hope she drops out. Honestly it's more important to me to see a democrat back in the White House than for her to get elected. I probably won't support Obama as much but he would make a good POTUS. He could really rally this country.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Might have to change this thread title....Hillary speaking from West Virginia right now, and she sure doesn't sound like she plans to go anywhere. Working hard on the WVirginia accent, too.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

And Iowa got the benefit of that bargain. They got to kick Fred Thompson, Joe Biden and Chris Dodd out of the race, while making Obama the front-runner and making Mike Huckabee into a contender.

Even under an enlightened plan (which Zeke's is), some states will get to kick the tires more than others. But how would a Huckabee or 2004 John Edwards do under your plan? Your plan would demolish any remaining sense of retail politics left in presidential politics. Under the current system, you can gain momentum and get votes simply by being in Iowa and going to every chicken feed and glorified cattle pen. It would involve even less retail politics than the general election, because the Electoral College system of "win a state by a single vote, get all of the EV's" at least forces candidates to make trips to Green Bay, Wheeling and Roswell. Your system would have the Democrats focusing entirely on big cities and Republicans on the affluent suburbs. With a national primary, the candidates who can flood the airwaves and come in with the best name recognition would do the best.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

C'mon...Hillary? Pretend to be what she's not?
    Get out.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Country roads, take me home.... to the place I belong.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Louis Moreau Gottshalk would disagree, and I love Gottshalk's stuff, but I understand your point.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

People need to stop acting like the right to vote in a primary is written in the constitution.

Everyone's acting like it's some great sin that the idiots in Michigan and Florida won't have their votes counted, people on here acting like they're losing sleep over it. It's a primary. It's not the election. It's a facility of the individual party, not a right bestowed by the government. In the grand scheme of US Presidential elections, the average voters have rarely had a say on a party's candidate. It's long, long been the work — often dirty work — of party bosses and leaders.

Draft saved Draft deleted