1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary cancels appearances - or not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 7, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Hillary cancels appearances

Give me a fair way of deciding on a national candidate while NOT allowing people in two major states to vote.

National and state party leaders needed to figure out a way to have these peoples' voices heard and they failed. Miserably.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Usually many more than two states do not get their voices heard.

In those years when it is decided early and everybody drops out . . . what voice did Dean or Gephardt supporters have at the end of the 2004 primaries?

What voice did Romney or Guiliani supporters have in recent GOP primaries?

Need to have one national primary day. Period.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That would be one improvement in a system that needs many.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, it was quite akin to that. He had just finished his first day of school and while we were at a celebratory dinner, he got a call from his grandfather telling him he'd just bought him a huge Hot Wheels race track.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I disagree. If you simply want to have the candidates who can raise the most money -- based on hype -- and have the greatest degree of name recognition simply ratified by the nation, then have one national primary day. But a national primary day would have likely given us Hillary v. Rudy (or maybe Romney). A national primary day doesn't give the party and the voters a real chance to kick the tires and see who is for real.

We need to do something about the disproportionate power held by Iowa and N.H. and allow states a rotating chance to be part of the early process. But holding a national primary day will only give us illusory choices. John Edwards would not be a national political figure under your system -- Iowa made that man. John McCain would never come within 50 yards of being the GOP nominee without the buzz of his New Hampshire success. Huckabee would be nobody. Our current process at least holds out the hope that a relative no-name can make a splash and compete for the nomination. A national primary day does not.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A National Primary Day is made-to-order for the insider/fatcat/monied/hack candidates (this year's versions: HRC and Romney).

As such (and especially given this year's all-too-relevant examples, as noted above), it's the worst scenario possible -- for the public.

The hacks and whores would love it.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree. However, I will say that the whole primary process lasts way too long.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

How much time should we take to choose the possible leader of the free world?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Amen.

I say again, a national primary day would have given us Giuliani and Clinton. The system we have, fucked up as it is, gave us Obama and McCain.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Who?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

you simply need to rotate the states each election cycle.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not quite what I meant. I have no problem with a very involved process, but certainly the primaries could have been compressed into a shorter period of time, by at least a month or two. As it stands now, minor slip-ups that have no real bearing on the actual qualifications of the candidate seem to creep up over the many months, and it knocks out legit people. That's the part of it I don't like.

The way it is now is almost like a Survivor style. Who can last the longest? Not very effective or efficient at accomplishing the goal you stated.

Draft saved Draft deleted