1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilariously Bad Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Omar_dont_scare, Mar 10, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with them either since I've asked both myself, but figured someone else might see something wrong with them. But it looks like I'm wrong and there is nothing wrong with the questions.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

bob, i don't think most people are doing this maliciously. listening to (and asking) stupid questions comes with the territory.

so here's mine: i'm covering one of the golf majors about four or five years ago. this was around the time tiger woods had been on a roll, winning two or three of the previous four majors. the details escape me but this is well before he went into his little slump.

it's a day or two before the tournament and i'm doing a preview about how although tiger woods is great for golf, that song is getting tiresome and it would be nice for golf for woods to lose if only so someone else could have a chance. so i asked a few golfers if they agreed. in general they fed the typical platitudes about tiger being great for the game and then gave stock answers about how obviously they would like to be the one winning instead of tiger.

then tiger woods comes into the interview room. this is is a large room with a lot of people. it's kind of an intimidating setting and this is one of the biggest big-time events i've ever covered. a bunch of the big shot golf writers ask questions. then it's my turn. i ask tiger woods if it would be good for golf it he lost. he briefly shoots me a look of death, smiles that shit-eating tiger grin and says 'no, dude, sorry, i can't give you that.' he's not stupid. he knew the angle i was going for.

everyone laughs. i'm embarrassed. i get dirty stares from a few of the veteran writers the rest of the weekend. i don't ask any more questions the rest of the tournament.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That's a good question in my book, leo. Just because Tiger didn't give you anything doesn't make it a bad point.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Plus, I think that's a great quote and a humorous way to lead into the story.

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

After a high school playoff game a few years ago, local team gets beat in OT. Reporter asked coach: "How does it feel to lose?"
    Coach give stock reply about team playing hard and it's a tough way to lose. Reporter walks away. Coach looks at me and says," How does it feel to lose? What I wanted to say was ..." and he went off on a rant, ending with "I don't expect sportswriters to have played the game, but they have to understand it and what it means."
    Then he adds, "Taylee, any questions?"
    "Sure, just one. So how does it feel to lose?"
    We still laugh at that one and it's been several years later.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Major college football game last season, played on a Thursday night on ESPN (so everyone is crunched for deadline).
    Student reporter: Coach, were you suprised the other team chose to kickoff instead of receive?
    Coach: No. Should I have been?

7. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Here's the info (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/williams.asp). And you're right: he wasn't black. His name was Butch John. I could have sworn I saw a SuperBowl documentary and there was a black guy talking about how he asked the question, but I'm obviously wrong...

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I smile every time I see these words.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Agreed. Sometimes no answer is actually the one that validates/proves your point or angle.

10. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

My favorite awful question came a few months ago during a JoePa post-game at Penn State. It was easily the most embarrassing and awkward situation I've ever seen.
    Guy must've been new. He gets the microphone ... and turns it upside down. He starts talking into it, and then realizes nothing's coming out. People are trying to motion with their hands to flip it over. He smiles to us, nods --- and then flicks the switch off ... while continuing to talk into it upside down.
    But that's not the end of it.
    Since he can't seem to get the mic to work, he decides to yell his question across the room. He wants to know if one of PSU's second-stringers is anything like Michael Robinson. JoePa looks at him for a second before saying, "I'm sorry. I'm gonna be honest. That's just a stupid question --- no, they're not alike."
    But the reporter (or tv/radio guy) persists. "But could be, right coach? Could be?"
    JoePa responds: "Could be?! Could be?! And I COULD BE God." Everyone starts laughing, Paterno gets up and walks out. End of press conference. The look on that guy was priceless.
    I never saw him again.

11. A few days after John Kerry's infamous joke, he was on Larry King Live, and it ended like this:
    Kerry-"We have a great opportunity to lift America and change the constituent's perception of Congress. I can't wait to get in there and get at it."
    King-"Will you?"
    (long pause)
    Kerry-"Will I what?"
    King-"Get at it?"
    Kerry-"You bet I'm gonna get at it."

12. That was Kerry's fault for not understanding Larry King's brilliant, tough question.

Draft saved Draft deleted