1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilariously Bad Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Omar_dont_scare, Mar 10, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

PGA Tour event. Davis Love III is in the interview room. He's talking about his late father, how big an influence he was and how much he's missed.

Question for Love: "Davis, what was your father's name?"

Top that!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Suppose he's named after a grandfather and the dad's name is George? Probably NOT the case most of the time but it never hurts to ask.

Of course, it was probably in the media guide but I've learned they're not always reliable.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

We're going to end this thread right now.

The 2005 Samsung World Championship, an LPGA event better known as Michelle Wie's pro debut. As a result, we issued 237 credentials -- by far the most credentials issued for an LPGA event in like, forever.

One of the Korean reporters -- who obviously had never covered golf before -- comes up to my cohort and asks three questions about one of the anonymous Korean golfers, probably Hee Won Han or Shi Hyun Ahn. Two questions the media guide could easily answer and one that defies logic, given where we were at.

Where is she from?

How old is she?

Is She Male or Female?

4. "Let's get you on the record now . . . "

Oh, that's not a question.

"Talk about . . . "

That isn't, either. My apologies.

5. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

After a game in which the Pirates scored twice in the fourth inning to tie it 2-2 and then got a run in the seventh or eight to win it, someone posed this beauty to manager Gene Lamont:

"Coach," -- called him coach, fer cryin' out loud -- "after you guys tied it, did you feel like it was a brand new ballgame?"

Lamont rolled his eyes and gave some stock response.

:-X

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Season finale, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1978.

Bucs lose 17-10 to a bad Saints team in a terrible game.

John McKay comes out, and despite his grumpiness, he usually had something interesting to say, sometimes moreso after a loss. And this was also going to serve as the entry to all the season-ending post-mortem stuff, so as postgames go, this one is relatively important for the beat guys.

Radio guy: So, coach, do you have any New Year's resolutions?

McKay: I'm the one who's supposed to be funny here.

Exit stage left.

Beat guys did NOT find it hilarious.

7. jshecket

jshecket Member

Prior to the Ohio State - Bowling Green football game this past year somebody asked Jim Tressel a question that started with "Heading into your week off..."

8. i once was in a presser where some clown asked an equally long-winded question

the guy stared at him for a moment, then answered, "Could you repeat the question?"

broke everybody up

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They actually teach players and coaches that if they're asked a question they don't like, to ask the person to repeat the question...

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Hey, just because my Falcons had a down year... at least they scored a touchdown against OSU.

As for questions that make me cringe... usually something that starts with, "Talk about..."

11. skippy05

skippy05 Member

The worst interview I've heard in a while was...me.

A couple years ago, I was covering the Rams and it was the Cardinal game (here in STL known as "Warner Week.") I had interviewed Neil Rackers the day before because he went to a local high school. Mind you, talked to him the DAY BEFORE. I'm on the air in the Cards' locker room after the game and said, "I'm with...uh...Neil...uh, (hand over mic, "What's your last name again?") Rackers, Neil Rackers..." That was bad enough, but then at the end I ask him his thoughts on going to Atlanta the following week and he said, "I don't think we're playing Atlanta this year, but we're heading to Seattle and..."

Rough. Real rough. He was a pretty good sport about it, though...

And I know I'm guilty of the "Talk about..." line of questioning, but in my defense, that's saved for one-on-ones with coaches and players I talk to almost daily and have a good relationship with.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This is for TwoGloves.

I can top it, because after local auto racer, Ed Reed Jr., said his father ran home to get the new tires (or something), *I* asked Ed his dad's name.

In a pressbox that only included professional ballbusters, including Ed himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted