1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilarious letter to ESPN Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I like Gammons but it seems more and more, all the links to his stuff is video. He doesn't seem to write as much anymore and I miss that. When I go to ESPN.com, I don't want to watch video. I'll turn on my TV for that. I want to read good material. You never know when he's going to have something new.

2. paris trout

paris trout Member

Seriously? Hilarious? This letter, with pitch-perfect lines such as "As I defecate, I read well-written tales about athletes and sporting events, and movies and TV shows"? This letter, with its clever and inventive repetition of "What's with the ..." jokes, has some of you laughing so hard your boss has to tell you to get to work?
    Those are some mighty high standards for humor.
    Thanks for the insight, though. I'm starting to get a better idea why the industry is dying.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Actually, this is the line that had me laughing out loud. I just imagined some suit in the ESPN offices reading that, shifting uncomfortably, and going "uh ... too much information."

Maybe it's not funny to you. Maybe you drink hoity-toity wine and pronounce "garage" to rhyme with "carriage." Goody on you.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You're probably upset because this guy is obviously a better and funnier writer than your idol the Sports Guy.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Great letter. Sad, squandered opportunity -- again -- for the WWL with this mag.

I wasn't wowed by the Gammons shot either, but stuck with it after the astute bitching about the dumb-ass size of the mag. It screws up my pile of mags to the point that I just shrug and toss it after, maybe, a skim. Never makes it to my reading room either.

Oh, and for what it's worth, what's wrong with "semi-monthly", to go along with "bi-weekly"? Pretty much the same thing, right?

6. paris trout

paris trout Member

Oh, now I get it, it's the "shifting uncomfortably" part that makes people laugh out loud. That IS hilarious. How did I miss the subtlety of the poop joke? Must be the bottle of Lafite I just finished.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I know I'm a Cubs looser fanboy, but Desipio is consistently one of my favorite Web sites.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Silly, not hilarious. Though that's probably because everything he says is mostly a valid point.

I, too, Lugnuts, could not get past the "I don't read this..." and then the dissection.

I did enjoy the following:

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd rather be a tighter fanboy than a looser one.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ah, newbies.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Nope - he's Colin Cowherd. ;D

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Here's the follow-up. He tried to cancel the Magazine but ESPN wants him to give his free subscription to somebody else instead.

http://www.desipio.com/?p=1529

Draft saved Draft deleted