1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilarious letter to ESPN Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I didn't think it was all that funny...true, but unfunny. I didn't laugh once.

While that was supposed to be funny, but wasn't, a friend of mine wrote a serious column for a college magazine that I thought was funny. Bizarre, though, I fully admit I'm weird.

http://www.emyouthemagazine.com/PerfekStorm.aspx

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not funny.

But I guess that's all write as long as you think it's funny.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Write or wrong, that is funny. I didn't even see that.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I subscribed to ESPN the Magazine a few months ago when Jones told us he'd be righting for it. I think he's done one story so far and I've hardly even flipped through the other issues.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Carrier pigeons. 'Nuff said.

6. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Exactly. There's a case where less really would be more. Some of the so-called fluff or off-the-wall bits would be OK mixed in, but there's too much of that. What that magazine needs is a good editor to clean up the design, eliminate some of the stupid stuff and tighten up the good stuff.

The magazine really is what ESPN is -- a sprawling mess with some good stuff, mediocre stuff and garbage.

7. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Forgot to add, it was one of the funniest things I've read.

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I thought it was great. Ripping on Buster Olney for being a grown man named Buster; ripping on the article where Braylon Edwards wanted to get on a TV show and didn't; ripping on Bill Simmons.

Good stuff, I laughed out loud a few times.

9. partain

partain Member

What's really funny is I worked for a sports association where the new commissioner (a former SID and Journalism major, no less) thought it was great. After I left, he forced them to change the size of the association's mag to the same dimensions as ESPN's. He wanted it to be somewhere between People and ESPN the Mag.

The experiment didn't last long and a few years later he left with the association in a deep financial hole thanks to several other "great" ideas he tried.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm not reading it, his letter's too long and there aren't enough pictures.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

4. The design of your magazine is not cutting edge, unless the goal is to make your readers want to cut themselves with the edge of a razor blade. You can’t just throw nine fonts on a page and call it design. Also, find a few colors that work and stick to those. If my dog ate a box of Crayolas and threw up on the floor she’d be more consistent than the room full of monkeys you have working on this thing.

That's funny. Seriously. It's all write!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not even on the crapper?

Draft saved Draft deleted