1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilarious gag pulled on a telemarketer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Oct 30, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That circulation manager should have had his head dunked in a toilet for that.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Exactly. Not to pile on, but it IS their fault they're in that job. Somewhere along the line they made a decision that led them down the road to that job. Kudos for doing whatever they can for making a buck now, but they are where they are because of their own choices. Because I believe that, I have no qualms about giving them a hard time or hanging up on them when they call.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

In every SportsJournalists.com thread, no matter the subject, there is a point where the discussion turns into a political pissing match.

But to save bandwith, let's just get it all out here.

LEFT: Oh so people completely control their own situations?
    RIGHT: Damn right!
    LEFT:Except the economy sucks and the national debt is skyrocketing and we're spending all our money in Iraq!
    RIGHT: Maybe because democrats created a welfare state where nobody knows how to fend for themselves!
    LEFT: Only because Republicans' fiscal policies stratified our economy so much that we NEEDED to put people on welfare!
    RIGHT: Clinton got a blowjob and Ted Kennedy is crazy!
    LEFT: Mark Foley! Halliburton! Mexicans!
    RIGHT: Cut and run!
    LEFT: Stay the course!
    RIGHT: You're an asshole!
    LEFT: Bush sucks!

Yay. Now I'd love it if someone would post another telemarketer prank call. That was pretty damn funny.

4. General Pinochet!
    The Haymarket Martyrs!
    WHO KILLED KAREN SILKWOOD, DAMN IT!

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOOOK!

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good stuff there Daemon, and right on point, which is why I generally avoid the political threads. Moment of weakness on my part. It's just that that "it's not their fault" stuff really gets under my skin pretty quickly.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

No qualms, N-dub. I understand your sentiment, and I wasn't ripping you for posting it. Usually it isn't the first statement that sets it off, it's the defensive retaliation, often by a party who has no reason to take offense. When, in reality, we should all be sitting back and laughing together, because foibles are the most bi-partisan aspect of politics.

It is very rare that one logs on to a SportsJournalists.com thread at the precise moment a shitstorm is about to ensue. I happened to get here at the right time. And I decided that a pre-emptive strike was appropriate.

LEFT: Why don't you ask Bush how appropriate a pre-emptive strike was?
    RIGHT: Why don't you ask Hilllary and Edwards and the other dems who voted for it you revisionist pussy!
    LEFT: Pussy? Go ask Mark Foley how he likes pussy. Oh wait! He doesn't!
    RIGHT: Yeah well at least he didn't stick a cigar in a pussy!
    LEFT: Well at least Clinton worked to provide health care to the Cuban immigrants who made that cigar!
    RIGHT: Well at least Bush isn't in bed with the Big Tobacco companies that put the stuff in cigars!
    LEFT: You're right he's in bed with the oil companies who provide the fuel to fuel the trucks that distribute the cigars!

And on. . .

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt, but when did I mention:

Clinton
    Bush
    Blowjobs
    Left
    Right
    Halliburton
    Mexicans
    Mark Foley
    Pussy
    Big Tobacco
    Cuba
    Cigars
    Cut and run
    Stay the course
    Ted Kennedy
    The economy
    Republicans
    Democrats
    National debt
    Iraq
    John Edwards
    Wal-Mart
    Pre-emptive strikes
    Hillary
    Welfare
    ??????

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Just now?

10. JackS

JackS Member

Update: same company contacted me by e-mail yesterday and had me take another survey, and is now supposedly sending another check.

The telemarketing call that just keeps on giving!

11. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

Uh, the Houston Chronicle doesn't have a competing newspaper in the area. And please don't say the Houston Press or any suburban piece of trash.

12. Good point. Whether it's right or wrong, lots of big papers see the smaller suburban dailies and weeklies as resources, not "competition." So, that's probably why you see big papers find story ideas for little weeklies all the time without attributing it, and then passing it off as a scoop. But, hey, the Houston Chronicle can talk to anyone the Houston Press talks to, but not vice versa, so why not? Like they say: It's okay to "steal" a story idea from a smaller paper, long as you write it better.

Draft saved Draft deleted