1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Highly comical high school athlete cliches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Apr 6, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I had a coach a few years ago who ... no matter how much they won by ... would just say, "We did okay." They could have won a state title and that would have been his quote for me.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You don't have to be a genius to be a good coach.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"They're well-coached," by the winning coach is a euphemism for, "They really suck, but the coach worked his ass off to even get this far."

I mean, really, if they're not well-coached, shouldn't someone be out of a job?

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Even though most are intimidated by reporters, I do like talking to HS athletes because most haven't been completely brainwashed with coachspeak. But yeah, the "we worked really hard" and the "nobody expected us to do this" are way overused.

The one I hate the most from coaches is after a loss "I'm so proud of these guys/girls. What a great, group. They work hard and do everything we tell them to do."
    I have had to bite my tongue from refraining from responding "Why didn't you tell them to win?"

Draft saved Draft deleted