1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Highest run total in baseball history after 1900

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

King Kong belted three for the Cubbies.

Randy Lerch hit one for the Phils in the top of the first before he proceeded to get hammered in the bottom half.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I watched that game on TV in college. It was amazing. WGN ran it that winter, but tacked an Ernie Banks homer on in the ninth so the Cubs would win. Whatever. It still was a great game.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

There was a period of time in the late 70s, early 80s where it seemed like the Cubs and Phillies had one of these games about once a year.

Then, the Dodgers and Rockies went through a stretch in the 90s where they'd play at least one 18-16, 12-pitcher game a year.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm addled. I thought for sure that the Indians hung like 30-or so on the A's when I was in college. A quick look back at those years reveals it was a 20-run game. Give it another 10 years, and it'll probably be a 50-run game for the Tribe in my mind.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember listening on the radio to the Phillies-Mets 26-7 game when I was a kid in 1985. Phils scored about 10 runs in the first inning, with Von Hayes hitting two bombs. Seemed like they just kept adding to the total every inning. Just amazing.

I remember another Phils-Cubs game in the late 80s or early 90s, too, where the Phillies jumped up 10-0 or something like that by the third or fourth inning, and the Cubs came back to tie it in about two at-bats. I thought that would have been on the list, but it must have just been a 19 or 20 run game.

6. I remember when Comcast SportsNet used to have CSN Classics, which would show broadcasts of glorious Philly sporting events gone by, and that Cubs game from '79 was always a viewers' choice fave. Never got tired of seeing it myself. What a game that was.

Draft saved Draft deleted