1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High-Speed Train Debuts in Japan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Mar 6, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/06/hayabusa-high-speed-train-japan_n_832044.html#249685

Pretty cool. When will the U.S. get one? 2020?

2. Never, unfortunately.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not until China invades.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A high speed rail link for the Texas Triangle (DFW-Houston-San Antonio-Austin-DFW) would be a great thing. Southwest Airlines lobbies like hell against it every time it comes up though.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

The shinkansen is a glorious thing. For the US to have something like that would be fantastic and, if nothing else, help relieve some of the congestion on the roads.

However, given that the states that could most use high-speed rail are either flat broke (California) or run by fiscal hawks (Florida, Texas, NJ, etc.), I can't see it happening any time in the near future.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Damn fools in Washington did all the planning and spent I-don't-know-how-many-millions on a high-speed rail system between Orlando and Tampa. Awesome; it would have saved someone 20 minutes. There are so many routes where this could be SO beneficial. We'll get around to this someday but probably not in my lifetime.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i read george will's anti-train screed recently and was stunned by his 'logic.' i admit that i'm a liberal but it never occurred to me that the reason conservatives are opposed to high speed trains is that they eliminate freedom because you're dependent on the government for where and when you can travel. i guess it's true that you're dependent on someone else for your travel and can't just go from point a to b at any time you choose, but that's just about the most inane argument i've heard. but this - and the power of the oil and auto lobby - is why we will never have them in this country in our lifetime.

like trifectarich says, there are so damn many routes where this would be perfect.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

California voters passed a measure for one in 2008, at a projected cost of $44 billion. Soon after as it passed, the proponents were forced to admit it wasn't going to carry nearly as many riders as they said it would before the election. Because this is California, the cost will probably be more like $70 billion than $44 billion based on the history of prior public works projects. And for about a million political reasons, instead of going down the coast and through anyplace cool, it's going to follow I-5 all the way through the most desolate part of the state.

All of this is going to happen in the next 15 years in a state that can't rub two nickels together. And yet the majority of talk is something like "Woohoo! Train go fast!" And everyone who says it's a horribly timed idea that is doomed to fail is labeled an anti-progress Tea Partier.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Amtrak's Acela which runs between Boston and Washington.

Now that they have added wifi it's gotten even better.
    No TSA, plenty of leg room and ability to walk around make train hands down better than plane.

Seems like New York to Chicago would be a very viable route.

I've read that Gov Cuomo is looking at prospects of a high speed NYC to Montreal route.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The price difference between the regular Amtrak train and Acela seems a bit ridiculous to me.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Agreed. I looked at it recently, and it was nearly double the price to save at most something like 45 minutes. I guess the Acela trains are probably more comfortable and less prone to delays, but still.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

But Acela is targeting the guys who normally would fly the shuttle -- and pay last-minute fares to boot. Compared to that, it's cheaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted