1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High softball box scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fossywriter8, Apr 12, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't like re-entry but you have to have it when some teams are only able to bring 10 or 11 players. But I don't understand why pitchers need courtesy runners. And I don't understand why DHs can be used for any player in baseball. And the flex/DP thing in softball is just ludicrous.

2. writingump

writingump Member

At this time of year, when I'm not trolling this site or free-lancing for whoever, I umpire high school softball in Va. I can see why some coaches use a courtesy runner for the pitcher; it's not worth the injury risk on the bases, especially if she's your one reliable pitcher. At the schools where I work, most schools will run for the catcher but there are a few catchers who can fly.
    I guess the DP/flex thing is just an attempt to be PC. I would prefer they just call it the DH and leave it at that.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's not really PC. The whole DP/flex thing is completely different from a DH. It's just that I'm not a fan of the concept.

In a DP/flex situation, the two can flip flop in the lineup for each other. The "flex," the one who's playing defense, can become the DP while the DP goes out to the field. There's even a way for it to move around in the order. The one thing I know for certain is that the DP and the flex can not both play offense at the same time (but they can both play defense at the same time).

The Kansas State High School Activities Association's Web site has a Powerrpoint-type presentation on its Web site to explain how the DP/flex rule works. (http://www.kshsaa.org/SOFTBALL/DP/DP-Flex/player.html)

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

From what I usually see, the courtesy runner is usually not as experienced a player as the catcher or pitcher. For that reason, I've often seen the courtesy runner make a baserunning mistake that kills an inning.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Back in the day (cue flashback music) my lack of batting but abundance of speed nudged me toward being a pinch runner and courtesy runner on our high school baseball team. It was interesting every now and then to get into game for two different players.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Smart softball coaches recruit the two fastest kids in the school to do nothing but be courtesy runners for the pitcher & catcher.

One of players I coach (in a different sport) set a State Finals record for runs scored in a game last year ... as a courtesy runner.

Draft saved Draft deleted