1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High softball box scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fossywriter8, Apr 12, 2010.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Have a question regarding high school softball box scores.
    Courtesy runners for the pitchers and catchers are allowed to re-enter again.
    A local team put in a courtesy runner for its pitcher, then later put her in for another player as pinch runner.
    Since she was in the game twice in two different parts of the lineup, do I list her twice in the box score or just add up her totals and list her once?

2. writingump

writingump Member

I would put her in the box score once -- where she originally appeared -- and just add up her totals.

3. Courtesy runners are an abomination. That being said, her official position was pinch runner. I would list her there.

And -- who has the space to run HS softball box scores any more? We're lucky to get in a few linescores with minimal highlights.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Small weekly, with only eight schools to cover. It has its pros and cons.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

She should be listed in as many spots in the lineup as she was used.

Do not list her just once.

6. HandsomeHarley

And it goes in as "Smith, cr" Not "Smith, pr". There is a difference between a courtesy runner and pinch-runner, even though a person can still re-enter for a pinch-runner, there still is a difference.

Many states now force a team to use a courtesy runner for the catcher when there are two out.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Courtesy runners is one of the reasons some high school sports are a joke. If you can't run the bases, you shouldn't be in the game.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I could see for the catcher to save time instead of waiting for him/her to put on all the equipment. I don't know why the pitcher would need a runner.

10. HandsomeHarley

It does get marginal players who can't hit or field well into the game, so that is good.

11. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I would argue that the time it takes for the courtesy runner to report and replace the catcher is roughly the same as it is for the catcher to put on his equipment.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The courtesy runner for the pitcher the first two times he batted and reached base in my game last Friday ... re-entered the game batting for the DH in the fifth inning and got a base hit.

(The pitcher, probably the best hitter on the team, batted for himself and reached base four times. The DH was actually hitting for the rightfielder. The catcher, who can run like a deer, ran for himself throughout.)

Draft saved Draft deleted