1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school writer/Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Apr 17, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you're pretty far off, from what I've heard.

2. Meaning 35K is low?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If what I'm hearing is correct, yes.

4. I'd agree with that.

5. Probably $45K or so.

6. turnovers

turnovers Member

Aaaannnnd 33 cents a mile! Up from Gannett's 25 cents a mile this time last year.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It was 22 cents when I left a Gannett paper in '05. Yeesh.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know several ex-Star employees, more on newsside and ad-side than sports, they can spin quite a few yarns about the decline of the paper. But there's never one bad word about the pay.

9. I hear they're down to finalists in this one. Anybody hear who or how many are still alive?

10. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Just a rumor, but I think I know a guy in the running still. Can't be broadcasting that material, as such, however. Sorry for the tease. I'm the "Blue Angel" of gossip -- I know all the tricks, but never go to war.

11. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Its become a cliche but I understand around 200 resumes have already arrived in Indy. Someone who covered IU wants the job, too, apparently. Good luck to whomever gets it. Don't they already have a platoon of HS writers, btw?

12. To go cover Cathedral vs. Cardinal Ritter. Unbelievable. That's the business, though, I guess. And obviously people aren't applying because they want to cover Indy preps. They're covering because they want to work at a major metro, where there are actually big-time beats to move into, in both sports and news. And $$$ to be made. And cool places to go and do near where you live.

Actually, 200 seems kind of low now that I think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted