1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school wrestling referee grabs kid by the throat (with video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There's a part in the story where the writer says the wrestler "pleaded" for the ref to let go.

Talk about bias.

By using that word, you make it sound like there is no doubt the ref is at fault.

I don't defend the ref. You shouldn't put your hands on an athlete. But the writer tries at the beginning to stay impartial but lost it there.

That's why you stick with said. Or saying. Or says. Anything else slants the story.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What's worse: the ref grabbing the throat or Danny Davis turning his head while Gen. Skandar Akbar swings a folding chair? Discuss.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was expecting Ravishing Rick Rude to reappear to give the other kid a "Rude Awakening".

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I vote for Sgt. Slaughter going over to the dark side and embracing the Iron Sheikh (or whatever he was calling himself then) during the first Gulf War.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I wrestled in high school and was pretty decent. If a ref had done that to me, coupled with the emotion you already have going when you're out on the mat, I would have lost it. I would have at least shoved him.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Taking off your headgear while you're still on the mat is either a one or two-point penalty. I believe it's two, because there was a kid in New York who either lost a state or section title over it.

Back on topic, the ref deserves to be fired. The kid is just that -- a kid. The ref is supposed to be the one in control, the adult in the situation. High school kids are so full of emotion that this could have ended much worse.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'd agree. Add testosterone to that mix and you've got a bad combination.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The paper is a small, family-owned weekly in south central Michigan. The sports guy (who is the one who shot the video) is also the managing editor.

It's a three-person editorial staff (well, four if you count the publisher/editor).

Don't know the sports guy, but he's been there almost 10 years, according to the bios on the site.

I'm actually more surprised that a small weekly like that has video on its site.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And what's your point?

That because it's a small paper they aren't beholden to just report the fact or that hyper-local means they have to present a favorable light on its readers?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

At least the ref didn't choke slam or DDT him.

Draft saved Draft deleted