1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school wrestling referee grabs kid by the throat (with video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.tecumsehherald.com/node/3324#comments

Supposedly, the kid went after his opponent after the whitsle or something like that. The ref seemed a little out of control, however.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, it's his mat.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he made that pretty clear.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Good grief.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dangerous Danny Davis wonders what the fuss is all about.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would love to see the 10 seconds added to the beginning of this, but putting your hands on a kid is never a good idea.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Regardless of what happened beforehand, I'm impressed with the way the kid handled it just taking the ref's hand off his throat.

I don't think I would've reacted that coolly if a ref had ever done that to me on the mat.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

What would Louden Swain have done?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not defending the ref, but I don't think that kid is a perfect angel in all of this.

10. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Certainly the referee should have kept his cool but again not seeing what the kid did to elicit such a response I wouldn't be quick to condemn him.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would. Doesn't matter what the kid did, you don't get to grab his throat. That guy should be done reffing, permanently.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It looked like he was putting pressure on the left side of the throat more than choking him or anything, though.

More like a pressure point move to get the kid's attention and move him back.

If it was my kid, I would not be bent out of shape about it. It's important in wrestling that kids follow the orders of the officials.

Draft saved Draft deleted