1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Wrestling ideas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When you find yourself profiling a kid who is pretty good, you could talk a little bit about what a daily practice is like, as a way of showing what the kid has done to get good in the first place. Kind of like Verducci's story on the Clemmens' training regimine. Shit, when I wrestled, our warmup at the start of practice was running up and down 3 flights of stairs for an hour. Then we still had another hour and a half of practice after that. Oh, and the heat was always cranked up as high as it could go.

And more than cauliflower ear, wrestlers fear getting ringworm the most. Though staph may be on that list too, now. It wasn't an issue 10 years ago though.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No offense meant, but staph was a problem 10 years ago and I heard of issues going back before that. I wonder if schools and coaches are doing a better job of protecting their athletes from these things now or not.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hang out with the parents in the stands while they talk to the "nutritional supplements" salesman.

4. The idea about the skin infections is probably the most relevant in Pennsylvania right now. Maybe it's just that it's being taken more seriously becuase of the strain of staph infection that has killed people around the country this year.

And the elimination of the optional start has been a phenomenal addition to the sport this year.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if wrestling isn't as popular a sport as it is in states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma and such, maybe even like a small weekly feature breaking down the sport is worth it.

Just a thought.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd like to wrestle a bear. And by bear, not a fat, hairy gay man, but a real-life bear, black or brown. I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to go toe-to-toe with a grizzly.
    My vision has always been driving down the road, see a roadside attraction for bear wrestling and stop.
    If it ever happens, I'll post pictures.
    And I need to do a real wrestling story in January, so the health mats is an interesting idea.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you want to appeal to the non-wrestling fans in the area to an enterprise piece that would be a course in Wrestling 101. Go to one of the best teams in your area and see if the coach would let his wrestlers pose in the various holds/positions etc. and explain what they are. Then talk to other some other coaches about strategy and when to shoot, when to use a particular hold, etc.

Or do a feature on match strategy. How coaches decide when/if to forfeit a match by bumping a kid up in class, who to keep at class, etc.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm just saying, when I was on the mats every day, we talked about avoiding ringworm, not staph. We didn't even know wtf staph was back then.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This is all great stuff.

Thanks for doing my job.

Draft saved Draft deleted