1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Wrestling ideas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No, that's cool. I just wondered if 'bookmark' meant you thought my ideas for RSC were any good.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Write about the Atomic Elbow Drop.

3. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

One hot button issue right now in the sport in staph and infectious diseases. Maybe take a sample from the mat with a q-tip at one of the schools and see what you might find there. Your local heath department or hospital could be of help.
    If you have any questions PM me. I've covered wrestling since I've been in the biz and wrestled in college.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I was going to suggest just that until I scrolled to the bottom.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Write about who does the best DDT.

6. doublej

doublej New Member

Don the head gear and spandex and partake in practice one day. Wouldn't work great for enterprise, but that would be a damn funny column.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

See if you can find a fanatic parent who's willing to convert a portion of his property -- say, a barn -- into a practice area for not only his ingenue son, but also every little grappler in the region.

As for suggestions that aren't inside jokes to RSC, I'm stumped.

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Find the kid that joined because he wants to be a MMA fighter when he gets older.

9. There are some retired priests froim the Boston Archdiocese who have some ideas, I'm told.

10. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Well, if you happen to be in California, one of the best "issue" stories in high school wrestling that isn't tackled nearly enough is the recruiting issue. The California powerhouse schools were brilliant with the development of junior wrestling programs that allow them to recruit kids in before they reach high school and then the family moves there so he can wrestle for a power. In some places, it works fine and there aren't really issues, but in others, it becomes a big competitive issue that ends up violating so many social boundaries. What happens way more often than it should in these places is a kid will come to the wrestling program as a middle schooler and need another year of "development" before he's ready to be a state calliber wrestler in Cali. The parents will hold them back one and sometimes two years while they move in to the powerhouse schools areas (or in some cases, just buy a home there and rent it out to people on the condition their kid can live there too). Then the kids end up being too old to compete by the time they are seniors and drop out of school. Saw that happen to at least a half dozen kids in just four years around one major program out there.

Anyway, see if your area has any of those powerhouse programs with youth feeders. There's always trouble (and a good story) to be had there.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same here. This doesn't get nearly as much attention as the dramatic weight loss, but it is also a legitimate health issue. If nothing else, it is worth talking to some people about what they do to address this.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Look for gimps and girls who wrestle, preferably girls who wrestle gimps. And to prove how tough you are work in how many writers wrestled at their elite Eastern prep schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted