1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Wrestling ideas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I know how wrestling works, but as far as figuring out story ideas, issues-based ideas for enterprise stories I am stuck.

I want to avoid profiles on different wrestlers or coaches and hit a few weighty topics. The starving and wearing garbage bag stories have been done over and over so I'm looking for anything else that wrestlers and even non-wrestling fans might read.

Anyone have any ideas for a guy tossed onto this beat for the first time?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The world needs 60 inches on cauliflower ear.

Needs.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Any top programs in your coverage area? Like one that always win the state championship or something similar?
    How about one if you have a team on a long winning streak, either in dual meets or in league matches?
    Maybe a feature later in the year about guys signing/committing to colleges to wrestle.

How about this for a wacky idea: You get a match that ends up when the winning team needed to get a tech fall to win. Write something about how that works and what it meant to both teams... You might be able to get some non-wrestling fans who are confused on how the scoring system works.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

huh?

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Write about some of the rituals the particular team you are covering follows. When I used to wrestle back in high school, our coach did some strange things (i.e. turn the heat up in the gym to EXTREME temperatures, thus causing us to sweat immensely during practice or open up the doors to make it really cold). Talk about the music that the team plays when they step onto the mat for meets, surprisingly you could find some great answers to that.

Also, everytime a wrestler got a pin, they received a ordinary metal safety pin on their wrestling jacket (i.e. this is who I am, etc.)

Go behind the scenes. Attend a few practices if you can or a meet.

Just a thought...

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What? (I can post pad, too!)
    What did you mean by 'bookmark'?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

post pad? naw. i was just mocking you.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

A few years ago, I did a pretty decent story on new weight rules that were being implemented. Not so much rules, I guess, but a new system - the NFHS instituted a program that essentially limits the amount of weight you can lose during a season. They test wrestlers in the preseason and certify them to a certain weight; during that season, they can't go below that certified weight.

Check to see if your schools are doing this; if they already are, see if the program has worked out as it was intended (something I may do myself down the line).

The NFHS also instituted a new rule this year essentially eliminating the optional start. Instead of that, the wrestler on top just tells the ref he wants to let the kid up and an escape point is awarded automatically, all without winding the clock. It speeds up matches and prevents time-wasting maneuvers.

Finally: I did a feature that ran on Christmas about a local tourney held here that was supposed to be an all-county tournament. But in the three years since it started, it hasn't evolved that way; now more out-of-the-area teams are competing for various reasons.

Hope some of this spurs an idea...

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Thanks, I feel honored.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just kidding, bud. i had nothing to offer, but wanted to see what everyone else had to say through the "show new replies to my posts" button.

seriously, dog, i wasn't giving you a reason for a beef.

Draft saved Draft deleted