1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School vs. Preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illinoissportseditor, Oct 11, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I actually prefer prep sports. But my SE has always pointedly told me that prep schools do not equal high schools.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

People call it preps in the Northwest, but my two newspapers always wrote it as high school sports.

It is most definitely called high school sports in Texas.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Really? Since I accepted preps -- I used to be strictly high school, but one place I went said preps, so I came around on it -- I've used them pretty much interchangeably in copy.

Obviously, for standing heads, the name of the page or whatever, you need to pick one and stick with it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I had never heard the term "preps" until I read it on sj.

I think everyone up here uses "high school".

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Our rule is that everything here is called "XXXX High School" so we write "high school sports."

In some rougher areas, you could call them perps.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

most papers around here who have someone in charge of high school coverage, their title is Prep Editor

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The archaic word "prep" is kept alive by copy editors because it fits in a one-column sig.

No one calls them prep schools. No one. It's high school.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's "high schools" until you have to squeeze that 1-48-3.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

He speaks the truth.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, that's just silly. You can say it's a misnomer, but not that no one calls them preps. "Preps" is considered a synonym for high school from coast to coast.

11. My first job was as a part-time writer and the guy who hired me was the high school sports editor.

12. It's still only correct when referring to Prep Schools, no matter how often it's misused. If there were not specific schools that fall under the prep category, you might have a reason to use it as a general term. But I think it's confusing to people who have never worked in a newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted