1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school tries shared leadership rather than captains

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 3, 2010.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And then wrote a story about it.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I googled it - apparently it is a "new thing."
    Here is an image that was included in "shared leadership."
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jesus Christ.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In seasons past I've seen teams (especially on senior night) designate all the seniors on the team as captains. 20 or 25 of them.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I think most of us have covered enough teams and been in enough lockerrooms or at enough practises to realize the heirarchy of a team naturally sorts itself out.

Players will naturally gravitate to those they see as or feel are strong leaders.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What possible good could come of cooperation?

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Honestly, is being a captain really that important anymore?

Most of the 'captains' I interview (especially the boys) are the most inarticulate kids on the team. This usually happens during terrible games where no one stands out or during season previews, but I've literaly had to pull coaches aside and tell them not to send me a kid whose only answer is goint to be "um" or "uh...". They're not all great interviews, no matter how many questions you ask.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://audio.weei.com/m/33926420/captain-by-committee-shared-leadership.htm

Here's the AD trying to defend the idea on a local sports talk radio show. One of the hosts, Fred Smerlas, has a son who is a captain on the football team at the school (that team still has captains).
    By the way, what does Fred Smerlas know about anything? I know he was a fairly colorful personality during his playing days, but does he really have any credibility about anything?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't care what either of them think. And if you are asking if a sports talk host has any credibility, you have to ask yourself how many actually do?

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fred is radio death - he blurts out over everyone else, always steers the conversation to politics, changes his opinion at-will just to argue, etc. I just immediately turn the show off when he's on. I'm not a huge fan of anything on WEEI anyway though, excluding Dale and Holly in the afternoons. Mike Adams was OK before he became a lunatic about Boston sports and rabidly anti-anything else.

The leadership thing is something that sounds nice in theory, but in execution, I don't think it would work at all. School already has a bit of a social hierarchy - You're not going to convince the rest of the kids that John Rotten is someone to look up to because he was elected to a six-member shared leadership team.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, but do it this year, and 15 will be tacked on on the opening kickoff.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hye, no fair. You stole that straight from our company's last motivational seminar!!

Draft saved Draft deleted