1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school tailback drops $700 plus on dinner for O-lineman...UIL investigating

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Argyle is probably one of the richest communities in the DFW metroplex, only overdone by maybe Southlake and the Highland Park area. Take that for what it's worth.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If this place is the one I'm thinking of, I've been there and you'd need a party of 40 to spend that much.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One of them fancy type places where the apple pies come without teeth marks?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, I read the thread title and thought ONE LINEMAN ate $700-plus worth of meat.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fuck that. If I'm ordering a good apple pie, I want to know someone else has approved.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yer mom gave me her card once... (sorry; it just hung there...)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guess this isn't the place Trifecta was thinking about.

Check the menu for Silver Fox in Grapevine, Texas. If the kid took his linemen and their dates -- at least a dozen people? -- $733 isn't all that big a bill:

http://www.silverfoxcafe.com/menu/SF_G_03-07.pdf

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Denton Record-Chronicle should cover this school. Should. Then again, they pulled up stakes from Collin County, the third-fastest growing county in the nation at the time so it wouldn't surprise me if they gave up on the lucrative area south of Denton, too.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Gaining 1,000 yards, regardless of the number of games, is a milestone.

My opinion anyway.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In a pass-oriented offense it is, but in 12 games that isn't very good at all. Hell, we have four rushers in our coverage area over 2,000 yards in 12 games and plenty over 1,000.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: High school tailback drops $700 plus on dinner for O-lineman...UIL investiga

Same here. Hell, we had a kid two years ago with 3,035 yards.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The story came from the Denton Record-Chronicle.

The UIL only acts promptly when a high-profile 5A school is involved (for example Dallas Carter circa 1988) ... if they even bother to look at this at all.

I've seen (and written about) two instances in the last five years where a small-school team cheated blatantly — one used an ineligible player despite the UIL executive committee ruling him ineligible, and another team conducted an illegal scrimmage before playing an undefeated team in the regional semifinals — and the UIL did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it until the playoffs were over.

Those schools got their wins taken away by forfeit later, but that's no consolation to the teams sitting at home while the cheaters play on.

Is this a case of cheating? In my opinion, absolutely not. But if it were, I seriously doubt the UIL will do anything about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted