1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school tailback drops $700 plus on dinner for O-lineman...UIL investigating

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Out of curiosity, did the gamer come from Wichita Falls or one of the Metroplex papers? It sounds as though it came from the Argyle angle, so I'm guessing a paper over there, though I don't even know who covers Argyle.

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

Yes I know for a FACT. No its not published.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I don't really see the big deal here. I'm assuming his parents' credit card footed the bill, but what's the difference between that and any other parent of non-football players taking a group of their kids' friends out to dinner? It happens all the time. To bring it back to UIL, what about band? I know band kids do that crap all the time.

About Argyle, yes, they are a prolific passing team. I believe they have the best or second-best 3A QB in the state, numbers-wise, at least. I don't really see anything coming out of this, but it'll be interesting to see.

4. txscoop

txscoop Member

Metro paper.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why haven't you written it if you know they're investigating? Why haven't you asked them why they're investigating? Why haven't you talked to the kid or his family about the $733 and the possible investigation?

Sorry, the editor in me has questions.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyway, my thought on this story is that the writer in question doesn't seem to have had a good grasp of the likely repercussions of printing the little tidbit that he inserted without attribution into his story.

An all-too-common problem.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: High school tailback drops $700 plus on dinner for O-lineman...UIL investiga

How many linemen is that? Five? Seven? Were backups there but only permitted to order chopped steak?

8. txscoop

txscoop Member

Who said I am the original writer?? I just heard about it and relaying it here to see what you all think.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fair enough, tx. I thought maybe this was something in your area where you could folo on it.

10. txscoop

txscoop Member

I'll let you know if i do

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

For one thing, I never ever had access to my parents' credit card.

Even if I did, had I put $733 on it for any good gesture, my dad would've beat the shit out of me.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Me too, though neither of us grew up in Argyle apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted