1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Student Scores $72 Million Playing Stock Market

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Dec 15, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The story says the rumor is he made $72 million. Story says "Though he is shy about the $72 million number, he confirmed his net worth is in the “high eight figures.”

Editor's note says : Mohammed Islam has denied that he made $72 million on the stock market. Our story portrays the $72 million figure as a rumor; the initial headline has been changed to more clearly reflect the fact that we did not know the exact figure he has made in trades. However, Mohammed provided bank statements that showed he is worth eight figures, and he confirmed on the record that he’s worth eight figures.

So it appears it was more a sensational headline then a problem with the story.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The reporter said the entire story was based on a rumor she didn't confirm, by design. I'm sure all the real, hard-working journalists who only report verified truth or, you know, actually confirm rumors before reporting them, will be lining up to congratulate her any minute now.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/15/media/mohammed-islam/

"The story says, 'This is a rumor and draw your own conclusions.'"

And:

The story, in her mind, was still worth doing.

"The story is the reason to love New York," she said. "And I came to love the fact that these kids are running around the city with these big dreams. It can only happen in New York, these kids eating caviar, talking about how they're going to be the new Koch bothers. It seems like a uniquely New York milieu."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sizzle > Steak

4. MisterCreosote

No.

http://observer.com/2014/12/exclusive-new-york-mags-boy-genius-investor-made-it-all-up/

Have you invested and made returns at all?
    No.

So it’s total fiction?
    Yes.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Holy schikeys, I had not seen that.

In part 19 of reasons to love New York, New York Magazine will craft a story on how easy it is dupe one of its reporters into believing a teenager made millions of dollars on the stock market and other assorted fables.

I hope they serve apple juice and caviar at the launch party.

6. If Lena Dunham isn't involved, is the story still worth reading?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To their credit. ... I believe CNBC was going to put the kid on the air after the New York story. They had him in the studio. They asked for statements, when he couldn't provide, they asked questions about his trades, and nothing he said was adding up. So they didn't put him on the air.

Just more crummy journalism. I don't know what has happened to the notion of verifying stuff. These aren't small details -- it's verifying that the subject of the story is actually true.

8. MisterCreosote

But how was he able to convince a reporter into thinking those returns had not only been real — but that he was worth “high eight figures?” A source close to the Islam family who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue told The Post Islam had “created some bulls—t thing on the computer with blacked out numbers. He said she could look at it for 10 seconds, and pulled it away.” The Washington Post couldn’t independently verify that claim.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-says-he-made-it-all-up/?tid=hp_mm?tid=hp_mm

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hell. I was going to ask him for a ride in his BMW

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nobody complained when Ferris Bueller did this. Why a problem now?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's be so really neato if Bloomberg pulled its job offer to Pressler.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Hey, at least these kids actually exist. Years after the fact, Nik Cohn admitted that his 1976 story about disco culture in Brooklyn - the one that Saturday Night Fever was based on - was completely fabricated.

Draft saved Draft deleted