1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school student "has" Bengals cheerleader, learns life is all downhill now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is someone going to have to bring out the quadrants again, Stitch?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's only cool when it's on RedTube.

3. dooley_womack1

Oh, I wouldn't know about such sites.

4. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

That's completely different. Men and women are wired differently. It's a double standard, but a valid one.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was shocked while researching something I'm working on the other day that there is considerable literature out there - peer-reviewed psychological studies - that consensual sex between adults and teen-agers are not that damaging to teen-agers. Apparently in the '90s there was a major psychological study to that effect, and the House of Representatives actually held a unanimous vote to condemn the scientific findings. Really interesting stuff. Some - obviously not the majority, but they aren't kooks, either - dismiss some of this as a "moral panic."

Of course, the teacher-student angle introduces a power-subordinate element that, shall we say, complicates things a bit.

But, yeah, the question Doodah asked has been asked and pondered by real psychologists.

6. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

See, I do have rhyme and reason. Now can somebody please answer my question?

7. dooley_womack1

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Your posts aren't rhyming.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I really don't think Doodah 2: Electric Boogaloo was putting that much learned thought into it.

What tipped me off? Mmm, maybe this?

I don't think that's exactly up for peer review.

10. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

He put it a lot better than I could.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ya think?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, so it was 1998, and the academic article in the American Psychological Association journal Psychological Bulletin challenged the "lay belief that child sexual abuse causes intense harm." They suggested that psychologists retire the term "sexual abuse" and adopt value neutral terms like "adult-child sex" for a "willing encounter with positive reactions." A couple of conservative interest groups, including a Marcus Bachmann-type group that purports to fix gays, and Dr. Laura Schlessinger, flipped out and put pressure on Congress to respond. A House Resolution condemning their conclusions passed 355-0 in 1999. Congress actually introduced a bill that would have required the APA to "renounce the findings of the study."

Laura Kipnis, media studies scholar and cultural critic: "Pedophilia is the new evil empire of the domestic imagination: now that communism has been defanged, it seems to occupy a similar metaphysical status as the evil of all evils, with similar anxiety about security from infiltration, the similar under-the-bed fear that 'they' walk among us undetected 0 fears that are not entirely groundless, but not entirely rational either."

Draft saved Draft deleted