1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, St. Petersburg Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rleblanc, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

To be fair, they just had three football teams playing for state championships in the past two days. They also had the crossover into winter sports. High school sports coverage in the Bay Area begins at the end of July and is intense through spring football in May. Even the summer months with 7-on-7 football can be nuts. Believe me, they want to find someone ASAP. Good luck if you applied.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cause, you know, the Bay Area is the only place that goes through that.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, they were thinking about pushing the hire date back with all of the applications they received.

4. dkenwhy

dkenwhy New Member

Any new updates on this?

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Keep in mind this is a position just about every unemployed writer in the country (and more) likely applied for.

6. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Any one got any news here? Still filling the position, I hope?

7. Last month I heard the hiring committee was going to meet sometime in January when everyone was back from vacation and settled in to begin trimming the list.

8. superhater

superhater Member

Roy was nice enough to take my call last week. They're still narrowing the original stack (which was huge), but it sounds like reference checks, interviews, etc. could be coming within a few weeks.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Hiring committee." I heard they were using Chuck Neinas.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Well, at least there appears to be hope for one lucky writer out there somewhere then. Thanks for the updates, all.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

This process is continuing, slowly. I know of at least one strong candidate who is in the picture.

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

So, my thinking is they've got to move on this in the next couple of weeks, right? Signing Day has come and gone, and basketball postseason is around the corner. Would they really hire somebody in time to cover spring sports? At that point, why not wait till the summer?

Draft saved Draft deleted