1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, Greensboro, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Newsom, Oct 16, 2006.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

For starters, you might want to start with comma usage. ;D

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the silly gators dont why should he?

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Any update on this? THe last time there was any news on the GNR opening, it would be late March, early April. Well, we're here and waiting.

4. boots

boots New Member

And will wait a little longer it seems.

5. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

I'd be lying if I said we had any immediate plans to fill this job.

No, wait, that's not accurate. Joe and I are planning to fill it. We just don't have upper management approval to do anything right now, and there's no telling when we'll get it. Don't ask me to guess -- all of my previous estimates have been wrong, and y'all have rightly called me on it.

This is the best part: When we do get permission, we'll have to repost it and start over.

I don't mean to sound bitter - just frustrated. This is the stuff they don't tell you about in Assistant Sports Editor School.

Any mods want to put this thread out of its misery, please do so. Worst case, you'll keep the spam from infecting other threads.

6. boots

boots New Member

Not coming down on you but this seems to be the state of the business these days. Post job openings, play games with prospects, and then don't give final approvals. This is what m,akes people consider doing other things like cutting grass or working at McDonalds.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sorry to hear that. Okay, fine, I'm as sorry for myself as I am for you, since I'd be willing to pack up Blue Monday (the name I gave my Jeep) and head out there yesterday. But it sucks for you too. Good luck trying to get through the spring down a head.

8. boots

boots New Member

And that's the point. Many places begin cutting back because of spring. Then before you know it, it's August and all of sudden, there are cries that we need people. Management says we'd like to oblige your request but you've been doing so well without the extra man, we think that you can continue doing the same stellar job.
    And of course, the beat goes on, man down and all.

9. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Yeah, it sucks big time. GNR puts out a good paper and has a good staff, but it's pretty shady how the management has handled the whole job opening. They put their own sports people out to dry, along with the writers who are interested in the position, which includes me. You post the position in October and then keep pushing the position back. That's pretty sad how they have handled the whole thing. They shouldn't have posted the opening until management was sure they could fill it.

Draft saved Draft deleted