1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, Greensboro, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Newsom, Oct 16, 2006.

1. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

We're hiring in Greensboro:

... What's not clear in the posting is that we're adding a second preps writer to our lineup.

- John Newsom, asst. sports editor

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ah, Greensboro. Or as I like to call it, "place you go to get decent coffee and bookstores when you live in Danville." I'ma putting in, so be ready to reject my resume in the coming days.

3. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Is an email application OK?

4. Just spent a weekend in the 'Boro covering a game -- first time there -- and was highly impressed with the city. Lots of good restaurants and shops over on W. Friendly Ave. Picked up a copy of the paper and I was impressed with the play they give high schools.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sometimes, Greensboro feels like home to me, like I've been there four times in the last week and a half.

Oh, yeah, I HAVE been there four times in the last week and a half. It's no Reidsville or Tightsqueeze, but it's a good town.

6. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

so what would be the pay(ish)?

7. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

We're talking low to mid-30s-ish. It's a full time gig, so there are benefits (health and dental) and 401(k).

Thanks for the props about the section, Christiano. We're pretty proud of the Friday-for-Saturday paper during high school football season. We've got a ways to go on some of the other days. Having a second person will help.

And, yes, you can apply by e-mail. Send it jsirera(at)news-record.com. (Please replace the (at) with @ - we get enough stock tips and pharmaceutical ads as it is.)

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At least it's close enough you can go drive Reidsville or Tighsqueeze on your day off.

There's some good people in Greensboro, except that bastard Jim Young ;).

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Like ANY city in North Carolina, from Manteo to Hendersonville, could dare compare with Tightsqueeze.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

John, is consideration only being given to applicants in the local area (define "local area" as you like, I suppose), i.e. is there a chance someone on the opposite coast would be hired (given clips, application, interview, etc. go well)?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It costs nothing but a few minutes to send the e-mail, and if there is an interview then I would think the answer to your question is yes.

12. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Ducky: We'll consider anyone regardless of geography. Talent, drive and smarts count more than an East Coast address.

Cosmo: I'll send Jim your regards.

Shelby: Jeff Carlton will move over to preps. The person we hire will be the second preps writer and will be working with Jeff. Jim Young (Triangle) and Rob Daniels (Triad) will handle our college coverage.

And where exactly is Tightsqueeze? It's not coming up for me on Google Maps ...

Draft saved Draft deleted