1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter, Wichita (Kan.) Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ugghhh, yeah, that's what i meant to say about the town.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Michelle's Beach House, which produces some of the tackiest commercials on TV. And the funny part is, they always switch it up. The Halloween-themed commercial, the Christmas-themed commercial, the St. Valentine's-themed commercial, etc. They love to cut new commercials, that's for sure.

I know for a fact that after football games at Derby, some coaches at the high school I covered would stop at Michelle's on the way out of town. I always circled the parking lot on the way out, spotting the school district van to make sure they kept up the tradition. Those coaches were like clockwork.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I gt an e-mail from the SE there saying he had received my stuff and would be looking at it soon. I thought that was cool - I hadn't even e-mailed him yet. A lot of SE's won't be bothered with that kind of thing, but it's an appreciated touch.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think Duane Frazier left after many years of quality work. And the other prep person is Joanna Chadwick and she is also a great writer/person.

Yes the Wranglers have left Wichita, but all is not lost! Wichita is welcoming the Wingnuts of the American Association! I think Lawrence-Dumont is a dump. Old, old, old. Needs serious work.

Overall, a good city with plenty to do. Wichita also has well-supported minor-league hockey (Wichita Thunder) and plenty of other state college and high school events that go on.

I can tell you this much - some excellent prep basketball is played in Wichita. Prep football ... eh, not so much.

5. biggerthanlashley

biggerthanlashley New Member

Why is the main interstate from KC to Wichita a toll road? That annoyed me when I drove that stretch once. It's bad enough I'm driving through Kansas, you're going to make me pay to do it?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Any time you want to compare the roads in Kansas (as boring as they might be) to most of the other states in this country, feel free. There's a reason they are as nice as they are. Someone has to pay for it.

7. I have no problem with toll roads. If you use it, you pay for it. If you don't use it, you don't pay for it.

That said, the Kansas Turnpike is a nice road but deathly dull.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I drove across Kansas on I-70 on Friday before doing the return trip Sunday. I couldn't agree with you more. The drive from I-35 on the southern border up to KC is nothing in comparison.

9. The Flint Hills stretch is OK, I guess, say between El Dorado and Emporia. That's about it, though.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Who left? I was checking their varsity site, and it looks like they've got two HS reporters. Anyone know if this is a new position, or is one of those two prep reporters leaving?

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

good paper, good people

wichita isn't chicago or NY, but it ain't a bad place to live at all

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Can always stop at the Knute Rockne memorial.

http://ksturnpike.com/rockne/rockne.html

Salina to Colorado on I-70 ... root canals are more fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted