1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter, Wichita (Kan.) Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Courtesy, journalismjobs.com

Company: Wichita Eagle
    Position:
    High school sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    February 20, 2008
    Job ID: 873560

Description:
    The Wichita Eagle is looking for a high school sports reporter to continue its tradition of top-notch coverage of Kansas high school sports. The Eagle has two high school sports beat writers who concentrate on the 37 high schools in a three-county area, but also expand to statewide coverage. The reporter must be organized and efficient, while being able to develop sources and root out the prep stories that go beyond the gamers and everyday features. The job also includes column writing and blogging on VarsityKansas.com and some help with direction of the site. Bachelor’s degree required. Send resume, references and clips to Kirk Seminoff, Sports Editor, Wichita Eagle, PO Box 820, Wichita, Kan. 67201-0820. Or e-mail kseminoff@wichitaeagle.com. Please make queries by e-mail over phone.

2. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Is this person part of the two current HS writers, or is it a new position? ...Sounds like a good one

3. Jay August

Jay August Member

Who left?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for the guy who outed the internal candidate. A penny saved not sending postage is many pennies earned.

Wait... wrong prep thread...

5. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

Does anyone know anything about this paper? How much experience do you think they're looking for? What's the city like?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's a McClatchy paper. Kirk is good people. I strung for them once in college. I e-mailed Kirk a few times after the assignment for advice about the industry and job searches and he's always been kind and helpful. I would think they want a few years of post-college experience.

I'm pretty sure there are one or two threads for a copy editor opening, if you want more info about the paper or area.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Here are the copy editor threads:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51492/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/50043/

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

(Please make queries by e-mail over phone.)

Anyone care to translate? I would guess over means instead of.

Reminds me of the great Bill Peterson comment when he was coaching at Florida State:
    "OK you guys, line up alphabetically according to height."

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I think it means they only accept emails sent via dialup. If you have broadband you're out of luck.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least the SE responded quickly to my e-mails. Get your stuff in fast as well if you want the gig. I'm likely not hired, though. So no freebie for the first one to post that phrase.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good paper and wichita is in kansas. you can figure that out.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

You're..... not hired?

Draft saved Draft deleted