1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter -- The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TMagelssen, Mar 5, 2018.

1. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

EDIT (2 p.m. CT March 5): This posting is also on other job sites, and it includes a link to our Monster.com (I think) application. You can apply either way -- through the online portal or emailing me -- but I believe the online application doesn't specifically have a spot for clips or supplementary material. If you have applied through the online portal, feel free to email me any supplements. Thanks!

---

The Dallas Morning News has an immediate opening for a high school sports reporter to join our staff. I am the hiring manager, so I can fill in some details:

-- This is a job to replace a reporter who departed in December.
    -- We are looking to move quickly, so please apply soon.
    -- The hire will be the fourth full-time member of the high school staff (Currently we have a coordinator, reporter and producer)

To apply, please send in resume, cover letter, clips and any other supplementary material to Asst. Sports Editor Tommy Magelssen (tmagelssen@dallasnews.com).

Feel free to email me with any questions.

The Dallas Morning News seeks a dynamic, self-motivated reporter to join its award-winning high school sports staff. The ideal candidate will be a proven digital journalist who is equally adept at spot news, analysis and enterprise. The person chosen for this role will be responsible for:
    • Reporting and producing content for all digital platforms related to their coverage area, including breaking news, features, and taking photos/video.
    • Promoting content and reporting on social media channels.
    • Developing exclusive sources and storylines.
    • Building digital stories with clickable headlines that include links, tags, multimedia and SEO.
    • Analyzing traffic metrics and social media metrics to enhance decision-making on what type of content to produce and when.
    • Finding compelling stories that haven't been covered locally.
    • Filling in whenever and wherever called upon, and having the ability to write about any number of subjects.
    The candidate should possess strong news judgment and excellent verbal and analytic skills; must have the ability to work all stories under pressure with assigned deadlines; must have ability to interact productively and enthusiastically with fellow employees and all levels of management.

This job requires a flexible work schedule, including nights, deep nights, weekends and holidays. Travel will be involved.

Job Requirements

• Bachelors’ degree in journalism or related field. Will consider related experience in lieu of education.
    • Two years professional writing experience. Please include with resume and application five writing clips designed to reflect attributes applicable to this job.
    • Must have good communication skills and organizational skills; good interviewing skills; detail oriented; good computer skills

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I just sent you an email.

3. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Degree optional - for a place that used to be the Encyclopedia Britannica of sports sections.

Michael Prunka likes this.
  4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No doubt the DMN is still on my bucket list of papers I'd love to work for... if I hadn't gotten this Toledo job six months ago... good luck to whoever lands this!

5. MJ Matthews

MJ Matthews New Member

Worked around a lot of some of the gentleman at the DMN...professionally some of the best reporters/photographers in the Lone Star State.

The beat is a grind with so many teams from the area — in all sports — competitive in deeper rounds of the postseason. Should be or be willing to become an avid tweeter and a hub for random statistical knowledge.

Late nogjts, especially during football season are a regularity with digital-first coverage coming at a premium.

6. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

Update: We are starting to narrow down the list of applicants for the job and are no longer taking applications. Thanks to all who applied.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Those late nogjts are a kiler.

C Jackson Cowart likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted