1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter, Savannah, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I love a good hug :-*

2. letshugitout

letshugitout Member

That's not a short list - it's called expanding your candidate field.

The job was open more than a week before there was a posting anywhere. Rather than wait for the posting to create interest, the SE and the executive editor began soliciting clips from writers. They contacted nearly 15 people before the job posting appeared on Journalism Jobs and then was put up here.

I guess that raises a question: what consitutes a short list? I don't think this qualifies.

3. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Short list or not, the point is this is a good paper in a great part of the country and there already are a number of good candidates.

Now where's my hug?

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Fine, no "short list."
    People were contacted about the opening before the job ad went up.
    Now fetch me a beer, newbie.

5. letshugitout

letshugitout Member

Aren't you just full of yourself... I must have the missed the Greek letters on the front of the house... ;D

Getting back to the Savannah job, though, an offer will probably be made the first week of August.The first candidate interviews next week. Meaning the department will have an empty desk for at least two, possibly three, weeks. And the new prep writer gets to miss most of the fun of putting together the football preview!

6. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Don't worry too much about the preseason football tab. Jim Thomas and the rest of the incumbents will crank that stuff out with little or no problem. And I can't comment on the "short list" issue, but I can tell you Tony Stastny is as fair and open as they come when making hires. After all, he once hired a caribbean beach bum who hadn't worked a beat in two years to his staff.

7. letshugitout

letshugitout Member

UPDATE: an offer has been made to Jay Adams, formerly the high school beat guy in Albany, Ga.

There were more than 40 applicants for this job, and seeing that makes you realize that:

a) there are a lot of folks out there looking to move (or get in the biz), and;

b) the hiring process can be a bear.

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

if jay takes this job, wouldn't that mean turnover in three positions in albany in two months? that's some pretty high attrition, the last thing I'm sure any paper in Georgia needs right before football cranks up.

9. letshugitout

letshugitout Member

I'm not sure of the situation in Albany, but Jay has been out of there for several weeks already. He's been in the running for several jobs, but the one he originally left Albany for didn't work out (budget problems on their end, nothing to do with Jay).

But you're right about having all that turnover right before football...it's a load of work even when you know all of your people are sticking around. Jay may have lucked out and got the benefit of most of the work for the Savannah football preview being complete when he gets in. Not a bad deal...although putting together some of the previews sure would make learning the local teams a little easier.

10. Albany only had two positions open in the last few months: Jay Adams leaving and Daniel Shirley going to Macon.

11. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

gotcha...my bad on that one.

12. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Jay is an excellent choice. He'll do a great job in Savannah.

Draft saved Draft deleted