1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter, Savannah, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

dorothy mantooth is a saint!

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

glad to know that you've got a live-in. I was thinking that it was just you and budweiser and the drive-bys, with a little wilco sprinkled in.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My bad on Donald. I will say this - he doesn't half-ass it on prep hoops. That's how I met him, then later saw his byline on Ga. Soouthern.

I think they have de-emphasized the high schools from Brunswick south. They still take call-ins, but the Florida Times-Union is the dominant Morris rag in that area. (To say nothing of the good work Bud Ellis and the gang does at Brunswick). That might change if, say, Camden County makes a deep football run, but that's about it. Statesboro High is the other big football power in the area, but other than that a solid assesment by eagle.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bud Ellis! Now there's a blast from the past!

Well, not too far past, because I'm still young (and he's not that old, either.) He left my first rag just before I got there, but he worked with all the guys I did, and I got to hear some good tales. Wonder if he reads this site ...

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

bud is the motherfuckin' man

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I will second that. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer man in the business than Bud Ellis.
    Back to Savannah - there are no laws. I mean, there are no laws. When you get a to go cup, that ain't Dr. Pepper in it, mister. It's amazing there aren't more traffic fatalities because everybody is a poor driver to start with and they're all drunk to boot. I'm not kidding.
    Through the years, I've met my share of disgruntled SMNers but I won't turn this into thread de bash, so I'll stop right there.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

Tybee is still pretty low key.

8. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

Any news here?

9. letshugitout

letshugitout Member

While the earlier posts about a 'short list' were fabrications (there was no such list), Tony Stastny has been wading through the pile of resumes he recevied for the opening. There are about three names on the list now, and the first candidate will come inteview next week. Stastny is still going through resumes, and no decision has been made regarding a hire.

The present prep writer leaves August 1st, so time is a factor with football season approaching.

10. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

The SE called a friend of mine asking him for clips and his interest in the job before there was ever a job posting. If that's not a short list, then I don't know what is.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't know whether it technically qualifies as a "short list", but they definitely had some folks put out some feelers well before this job was posted. I know at least three people were contacted before the posting.

You wanna hug it out? LHIOB.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Sorry, but there was a "short list."

Draft saved Draft deleted