1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Reporter, Santa Rosa, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 15, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You're hired! You start tomorrow.

2. dm19

dm19 Member

I don't mean to be rude, and I'm probably going to start something here ... but the "you're hired" bit is pretty damn tired. An honest question (or in this case three) always seems to get the same childish response. It's not funny now. I don't think it ever really was. You're writers for Christ's sake. Come up with something better.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

For some people, it's their only joy in life.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You are definitely not hired.

*Crosses you off the list*

5. FearThePotato

FearThePotato New Member

So is it even worth asking if anyone actually has any answers to my questions?

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't have the answers to your specific questions (except with regard to myself).

But, in general, jobs that start out going through a company link or HR department, as this one does on the JJobs site, usually will take longer to process. (And, sometimes, filling a job may take months).

I applied for this position, and have not heard back yet. That may or may not mean anything as of yet.

You should realize that, if you're not going to get a job, you often won't hear anything, ever, either way. As bad, unhelpful and unfortunate as that is, it's just the way it is.

So, basically, if you really want to know something, you need to contact someone directly if the paper has not contacted you, and then, go from there.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Fear, write is right. Don't mean to have a smart-alecky play on words, but hey, we're writers. Honestly, one would think a newspaper would like to have a prep writer in place, since we're only halfway into football and fall sports season. But the fact is, those who make these decisions in this day and age don't care an iota how much a scribe is needed. I'm with Write: Pick up the phone and start calling people. You can be persistent without being a pest.

8. FearThePotato

FearThePotato New Member

Thank you.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Heard there were a lot of good, overqualified applicants for this. Haven't hired anyone yet.

10. Boom_Baby

Boom_Baby New Member

Any movement on this?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dare I say "you're hired?"

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

dm, chill out. He's just having a little fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted