1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Reporter - Fort Collins (Colo.) Coloradoan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

We're looking for a new preps person. This was my job for about a month and a half after I was hired in June until moving to the Colorado State basketball/backup football beat, so I can answer any questions you might have. It became open again about a week ago. I know people will joke that it's Gannett, but I absolutely love working here. Amazing team here that really gels well.

-----------------
    https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=11532&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=qhESixZYRuiVhK0BOUhRszBFRtk%3d

The Coloradoan is looking for a High School Sports Reporter who can rise above game coverage to deliver enterprising, analytical stories that show the color and excitement of prep sports.

This isn't just a "game after game" coverage beat. We're looking for someone who can connect dots between events — you should be able to spot trends, analyze records and be able to make the world of prep sports resonate with non sports natives.

Responsibilities include covering high school sports and contributing enterprising stories on these up-and-coming athletes. You should be comfortable with Facebook, Twitter and emerging forms of social media. Your writing should show personality and direct communication with readers — frequent columns and analysis will be a part of the beat. Photography and video skills aren't required, but they're an increasingly important part of the job; experience in these areas are a plus.

Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent education and experience required.

Fort Collins is an intelligent, laid-back university town at the base of the Rocky Mountains with a top-notch quality of life. Great outdoor sports, easy access to hiking and cycling, craft breweries and a vibrant downtown all contribute to Fort Collins' chart-topping ratings.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of changes up there -- and it's a rare non-Uncle Dean shop in the state. I will vouch a million times over for Fort Collins. Absolutely love it, but Matt is in better position to answer questions. Home of New Belgium!

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

quite a few Colorado openings lately. Just an observation.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Compensation range?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Waiting for Colorado Springs to announce some stuff, too. I think the new regime was going to add positions.

Took a trip through Fort Collins on 287. Nice city indeed...

6. mmolina

mmolina New Member

Since there are so many openings in Colorado, does anyone know if the jobs might be worth moving for? I am nearly a graduate from Texas A&M Kingsville and currently have a full-time job covering one high school. I do layout and coverage, columns and features. I also design page and take photos. I will graduate during the summer and have more than ten won awards from the Texas Intercollegiate Pres Association. I have just been curious about moving and starting work somewhere new. Colorado seems like a good option. I have really joined this site to help me possibly make connections before summer gets here and I graduate. I figured that this may be a nice start to getting the ball rolling.

7. Fort Collins is probably the best one for cost of living, the paper itself, and being close enough to Denver.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED! And I'll have a Michelob Golden Draft when you're at it (I always tell the newbies they'll get the jokes as they visit here... we really are a good bunch. lol)

Seriously: Colorado is a beautiful state... visited it three times now and found the cost of living is really good. Seems to be cheaper on gas than other parts of the country... winters are a little less horrendous than you'd think (I've heard plenty of people in Denver have golfed in 60-degree weather just a couple days after a snowfall). Fort Collins is nice, Colorado Springs, the Front Range... there are a lot worse places you could live.

Welcome to our board.

9. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

Trying to apply for this. It says I need to put in a previous employer, but I don't have one. I've just freelanced/written for my school paper.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Cost of living is very good. The weather is the most underrated part of the state. Not even close -- and I've lived there and on both coasts. Yes, I've golfed there in February -- and worn a heavy jacket in June. Still, the best weather anywhere. It's not close. Plus in Fort Fun -- you can go to New Belgium every day. That alone is worth it.

11. DavidS

DavidS New Member

I put internships and school experience.

12. mmolina

mmolina New Member

YOU'RE HIRED! And I'll have a Michelob Golden Draft when you're at it (I always tell the newbies they'll get the jokes as they visit here... we really are a good bunch. lol)

Seriously: Colorado is a beautiful state... visited it three times now and found the cost of living is really good. Seems to be cheaper on gas than other parts of the country... winters are a little less horrendous than you'd think (I've heard plenty of people in Denver have golfed in 60-degree weather just a couple days after a snowfall). Fort Collins is nice, Colorado Springs, the Front Range... there are a lot worse places you could live.

Welcome to our board.
    [/quote]

Cost of living is very good. The weather is the most underrated part of the state. Not even close -- and I've lived there and on both coasts. Yes, I've golfed there in February -- and worn a heavy jacket in June. Still, the best weather anywhere. It's not close. Plus in Fort Fun -- you can go to New Belgium every day. That alone is worth it.
    [/quote]

haha I am used to being the young guy. I always am the youngest when I work somewhere. Yeah I really just want to experience out of state things. I love covering high school sports because that is all I do right now with Alice High School. Having two or three to cover would be nice. I also have a ton of DII sports experience. The state just seems right. It is a process, of course. I have just rather impatient lately have been wanting to waste no time preparing for graduation. Plus, I like cold weather and if cost of living is good then that is obviously a big plus.

Draft saved Draft deleted